Honored Contributor

HAPPY MARCH 17 BIRTHDAY, NAT KING COLE!

Nat the elegant, the impeccable, romantic, sophisticated!

Vocalist par excellence--  one of the most unique interpreters of the great American songbook.

Here, he does the definitive "Stardust".   Just listen and be swept away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjU6ZjrQulc

Respected Contributor

Re: HAPPY MARCH 17 BIRTHDAY, NAT KING COLE!

What a great voice. And he vocalized so you could understand all the lyrics. 

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

His 100th birthday ... 

My two favorites together ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvfI0sJbk7o

Honored Contributor

No, I hadn't heard that, @Judaline!  It was so interesting to see in the "comments" section that that song was written by the one and only Mel Torme.  Evidently he was thrilled and honored that Nat King Cole chose to sing it...

@SoX, none like those two brilliant pros, confidently playing (love when Nat plays the piano to his songs) and singing up a storm together... superb.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nat King Cole, is from my home town of Montgomery, AL!  He had such a wonderful voice!

Mural dedicated to Nat King Cole downtown Montgomery, AL:

Mural dedicated to Montgomery-native, music icon Nat King Cole

Honored Contributor

Since we've got a whole little concert going, I'll add some footage of N.K.C. strolling and singing,  "When I Fall in Love".   The absolute mastery he has of every song,  the hushed but vibrant vocal tone, his characteristic unforced warmth.  Just great, great performing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAb0gNPy6s

Honored Contributor

I was lucky enough to see him in person a year or so before he passed.  Wonderful entertainer.  I still listen to his music.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

No, I hadn't heard that, @Judaline!  It was so interesting to see in the "comments" section that that song was written by the one and only Mel Torme.  Evidently he was thrilled and honored that Nat King Cole chose to sing it...

@SoX, none like those two brilliant pros, confidently playing (love when Nat plays the piano to his songs) and singing up a storm together... superb.

I heard once when an interviewer asked a famous piano player (too long ago to remember who it was) who he thought was the best piano player he ever heard -he said, 'Nat King Cole.' Years later I heard the same answer from another great piano player. I think NKC was one of those players who could just sit down and play anything, and if he didn't know it, he'd wing it and it would be fabulous. He was actually of my parents' era and my GF would come over and we'd play all my mom and dad's albums and we today love NKC because of it. But let's face it, he's everybody's era. I love him. No past tense.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Mel Torme actually wrote The Christmas Song with Nat King Cole in mind~