Honored Contributor

Re: HAPPY HANUKKAH, EVERYONE

Does anyone know the reason for the two different spellings of Hanukkah or Chanukah?

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Happy Chanukah! I am of the Jewish faith.... my son and husband are Catholic......I have blue and white lights on the tree to tonight!  It all works!

Hi @MickD  Smiley Happy 

My dear friend is in a interfaith marriage, just like yours. 

She has red, green, blue and white lights on her tree.  

For years, I've been giving her ornaments, personal to her, for her tree.  I've given her a Star of David, menorah, Torah,  dreidel, mezuzah, etc. 

They hang with snowman, colored balls, ornaments her kids made and ornaments to commemorate her children's Catholic  sacraments.  

As in your home, it all works!  The tree looks fabulous and is filled with memories of all the family members and their faiths. 

This weekend, we made latkes together. They were delicious!  This week, we are making Xmas cookies together.   She'll go home with a tin for her family. 

It all works.........and it works well. Smiley Happy 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@MickD wrote:

Happy Chanukah! I am of the Jewish faith.... my son and husband are Catholic......I have blue and white lights on the tree to tonight!  It all works!

Hi @MickD  Smiley Happy 

My dear friend is in a interfaith marriage, just like yours. 

She has red, green, blue and white lights on her tree.  

For years, I've been giving her ornaments, personal to her, for her tree.  I've given her a Star of David, menorah, Torah,  dreidel, mezuzah, etc. 

They hang with snowman, colored balls, ornaments her kids made and ornaments to commemorate her children's Catholic  sacraments.  

As in your home, it all works!  The tree looks fabulous and is filled with memories of all the family members and their faiths. 

This weekend, we made latkes together. They were delicious!  This week, we are making Xmas cookies together.   She'll go home with a tin for her family. 

It all works.........and it works well. Smiley Happy 

@dmod nj  DH and I are both Jewish, but son and daughter married Catholic spouses. Since they came home for T’giving or Hanukkah/Christmas, we started having an artificial tree (this year a newer one w/ LED lights). We have Hanukkah ornaments, china beagles, UNC Tarheel (our school where we graduated & met) mascots, etc. When our granddaughters were born, our son & dil are raising them Jewish, but they enjoy making dreidels, Hanukkah 🕎 pictures and hanging them each year. Of course, they sign & date each one for future keepsakes. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Does anyone know the reason for the two different spellings of Hanukkah or Chanukah?

@Shanus

From Dictionary.com:

Hanukkah has commenced. So has Chanukah, Hannukah, Hannukkah, and Channukah.

Confused? We don’t blame you. Why is this Jewish holiday, also known as the Festival of Lights, spelled in so many ways?

The answer comes down to transliteration. Unlike translation, transliteration is when you “change (letters, words, etc.) into corresponding characters of another alphabet or language.” In Hebrew, the language from which the Jewish festival originates, the word for Hanukkah is not easily transliterated into English. This accounts for why there are so many spelling variants. But, Hanukkah and Chanukah are the two versions that are most widely used and accepted.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

From Dictionary.com:

Hanukkah has commenced. So has Chanukah, Hannukah, Hannukkah, and Channukah.

Confused? We don’t blame you. Why is this Jewish holiday, also known as the Festival of Lights, spelled in so many ways?

The answer comes down to transliteration. Unlike translation, transliteration is when you “change (letters, words, etc.) into corresponding characters of another alphabet or language.” In Hebrew, the language from which the Jewish festival originates, the word for Hanukkah is not easily transliterated into English. This accounts for why there are so many spelling variants. But, Hanukkah and Chanukah are the two versions that are most widely used and accepted.

@just bee  Thanks for that info. I can’t speak Hebrew, so maybe that’s why “Hanukkah” just stuck w/ me, but see both spellings on cards, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@just bee  Thanks for that info. I can’t speak Hebrew, so maybe that’s why “Hanukkah” just stuck w/ me, but see both spellings on cards, etc. 

@Shanus

I attended elementary school in Rogers Park (Chicago).  In the '60s, Rogers Park was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.  I was raised by my Italian mother -- a lapsed Catholic -- and was always envious of my Jewish friends who went to Hebrew school when our school day ended.

I went home and watched Garfield Goose on WGN and really felt I was missing something. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

I attended elementary school in Rogers Park (Chicago).  In the '60s, Rogers Park was a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.  I was raised by my Italian mother -- a lapsed Catholic -- and was always envious of my Jewish friends who went to Hebrew school when our school day ended.

I went home and watched Garfield Goose on WGN and really felt I was missing something. Woman LOL

@just bee  When my family moved from NY to NC in 1951-1952, there were very few Jewish families in our town. Only one family admitted to being Jewish. The others had changed their names and assimilated into the gentile community.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

@just bee  When my family moved from NY to NC in 1951-1952, there were very few Jewish families in our town. Only one family admitted to being Jewish. The others had changed their names and assimilated into the gentile community.

@Shanus

One of my fondest memories was right before we left Chicago and moved to Arizona.  My mother waited tables and her customers adored her.  An elderly Jewish couple, knowing our Christmas would be disrupted because everything was in moving boxes, invited us to their home for Christmas dinner.

They were of modest means, yet there was a decorated tree and gifts for me, my mother and sister.  It's been 49 years and I still have the brown shoulder bag they gave me.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

@Shanus

One of my fondest memories was right before we left Chicago and moved to Arizona.  My mother waited tables and her customers adored her.  An elderly Jewish couple, knowing our Christmas would be disrupted because everything was in moving boxes, invited us to their home for Christmas dinner.

They were of modest means, yet there was a decorated tree and gifts for me, my mother and sister.  It's been 49 years and I still have the brown shoulder bag they gave me.

@just bee  What a wonderful memory to have!

Honored Contributor

Thank you!

I'll  send a card today (40 miles away) and place neighbors' cards on their front porches.

Happy, Healthy, Safe New Year, too!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).