Honored Contributor

HAPPY 60TH TO A GREAT ATHLETE!

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpg

Wayne Gretzky, phenomenal hockey player, a great among greats--  I hadn't thought about him in years till I saw his birthday trending!

gretzky_wayne1-1040x572.jpg

I couldn't have cared less about hockey.  Growing up in Canada, you cannot escape it, ha.  Of course, we all skated at freezing park-flooded ice rinks, day and night, had Winter Carnivals at school, and my nephew was hockey obsessed, etc.

Ontario boy Gretzky, multiple record breaker and hockey prodigy from the time he was 3, (3?), was up there in the firmament with his childhood idol, Gordie Howe, and with Bobby Orr, all the best.

Talented, whip-smart at the game, and genial.  Hope he has a great birthday.

1200px-Wayne_Gretzky_2006-02-18_Turin_001.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY 60TH TO A GREAT ATHLETE!

My husband went to gradeschool with him, in Brantford.  He told me that Wayne's Dad would make an ice pond in his backyard so his son could practice.  Also, Wayne had already lost a few permanent teeth by the time he was in 5th grade!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

He did so much for American Hockey and earned his title of The Greatest

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Puppy Lips ,  poor little Wayne, getting hit in the face like that, ouch.  One of the downsides of hockey!  How neat that your hubby knew him!   I heard that his Dad did really encourage his kids in hockey...

That he did, @mspatmac ,  a real emissary for the sport!

Honored Contributor

Although I am not a hockey fan, Gretzky's name is well known in the sports world like Bath Ruth, Micky Mantle Willie Mays, Michael Jordon to name but a few.  He is one of the greats of sports and contributed so much to the game.  He has earned his mark in the hockey world and has been a hero to so many!  Happy Healthy Birthday to Wayne!

Honored Contributor

You're like me, @spiderw -- not a hockey fan, but I so respect excellence in any area.