Esteemed Contributor

I've had a HALO bolt for a couple of years.  Bought it for power outages.

Last week, my car wouldn't crank and the guy across the street come over and we used the HALO to start it.  Worked great.

Yesterday, he come over to borrow it for a person't car down the street.  Worked great again!  This car had been sitting for a loooong time!  Completely dead.

HALO to the rescue!  Got my money's worth!

Esteemed Contributor

Awesome, @Zhills

Mine came in handy last week too. Our power was out for over 12 hours, we used it to plug in a lamp, and to charge our phones. 

I'd also bought several lanterns from QVC and those came in handy too.

Honored Contributor

LOL!!! My car would not start either.

My car sits in the garage all the time. It's almost 8 yrs old now with only 13,419 miles on it?

We had really cold weather for almost 2 wks. Before we had the below freezing temperatures I had DH start my car & let it run so it would start when I needed to go some place.

I placed an order online to pick up groceries at Wal-Mart weds. Jumped in car pressed starter button & $%^&*?

I called DH at work to tell him he had to go pick up our groceries. He was not very happy.

He has some gadget you use to jump cars but of course I don't know how to use it. I could not even change a flat. LOL!!!

He started my car & drove it back to work.

Guess I should start my car weekly.

Respected Contributor

If your car is going to be sitting for a long time I highly recommend putting a Battery Tender on it.  My van's battery was completely dead and I hooked it up and let it sit for 24 hours and it charged completely.  My other car was slow cranking so I hooked that up as well and now it's fully charged.  The Battery Tender is not that expensive and I picked it up at the parts store.  Easy peasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz How cold - what was your lowest temperature?

My car in garage too.........not daily use but coldest this year in the teens.  17 I think.  Battery is 3 years old.

Does hubby say to fire it up occasionally?

Honored Contributor

Re: HALO to the rescue!

[ Edited ]

My car would not start this week, it is a 15 year old car.  A Friend tried to jump the car a few times, with no luck. It had to be taken to the shop and they said the battery was totally drained and that no jumping it would have worked. They charged it up and its running good now. This is a big lesson to either drive the car or at least run it every day on very cold days! My friend told me about that battery tender but Im not sure how I could use it with the car battery under that back seat  Smiley Sad  I read online that you need to be careful of fire with anything left a long time on a vehicle, like a battery tender or a charger.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs Everything you said - I agree. My battery is in the back also and has some years on it.

Cars with lots of bells & whistles needs and pulls a lot of energy from the battery. - things I don't think of often ......the clock for example.

Best to buy a new battery every few years - before it goes dead........and have peace of mind.

Honored Contributor

Re: HALO to the rescue!

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

@Nightowlz How cold - what was your lowest temperature?

My car in garage too.........not daily use but coldest this year in the teens.  17 I think.  Battery is 3 years old.

Does hubby say to fire it up occasionally?

@fthunt 

The lowest was -14°. Freezing. We had several below freezing temps during that cold spell. I'm glad it's gone & the sun is out. The sun can thaw his sisters plumbing which is still frozen. This is was she gets for not wanting to pay heat bill & water bill to drip faucets. She's living with her mom right now. 

Battery in my car is only 2 years old. Guess I should get out more. LOL!!!

DH had his antifreeze changed because it was only good to 0. Now it's good to -20° like my car.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I've had a HALO bolt for a couple of years.  Bought it for power outages.

Last week, my car wouldn't crank and the guy across the street come over and we used the HALO to start it.  Worked great.

Yesterday, he come over to borrow it for a person't car down the street.  Worked great again!  This car had been sitting for a loooong time!  Completely dead.

HALO to the rescue!  Got my money's worth!

@Zhills 

I was happy to see your thread and post this morning!

I'm wondering though...how did you know my new HALO BOLT was just delivered yesterday?

I've been watching parts of the presentations for years now and thought it wouldn't hurt to have one. So, on free shipping day, I ordered one and with a 10% rebate from Rakuten I saved around $24. 

I'm glad to hear it worked so well for you and how kind you are to let your neighbor borrow it too. Very nice! Smiley Happy

I don't know if mine was so much a need as a want. I have AAA and the few times I've called them for a jump the wait was around 15 minutes so not too bad. Even so, I'll feel good if I can do it myself. I got the one that has the air compressor which I think will come in handy. 

Anyway, just wanted to say about your thread--great timing!

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

My car would not start this week, it is a 15 year old car.  A Friend tried to jump the car a few times, with no luck. It had to be taken to the shop and they said the battery was totally drained and that no jumping it would have worked. They charged it up and its running good now. This is a big lesson to either drive the car or at least run it every day on very cold days! My friend told me about that battery tender but Im not sure how I could use it with the car battery under that back seat  Smiley Sad  I read online that you need to be careful of fire with anything left a long time on a vehicle, like a battery tender or a charger.

You hook it up to the battery just like you would the jumper cables.

I know people who leave the tender on their extra vehicles all winter long.  One has a convertible she drives only in the summer.  One has a rebuilt classic vehicle that he leaves the tender on.  It's pretty common.