Respected Contributor

When I worked our building had a lobby with restaurants and one was run by a Greek family - they always said "year-o".   Many Italian restaurants here say the same thing.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It sort of starts with a "Y" sound and morphs into an "H" sound.   Kind of EhROS.  

My understanding is that was the root of the hero sandwich.

Respected Contributor

I'm in the rural midwest.  I grew up hearing "JIE-roh".  I know now that it's supposed to be pronounced "YEAR-oh", but still nobody around here does.

Esteemed Contributor

Now you got me craving one!  LOL!  I haven't had one in a long while either.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have been told the correct pronouncation is e ro.  I dont know and I dont have to know because I would never order one anyway since they are made with lamb.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

Yee-ro. Chain of Greek fast food resturants here.  

Respected Contributor

I’m so glad to read this.  I have always pronounced it “-row”.  I never heard it said any other way.

Now I have to get my brain and mouth in a new gear.

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Yup, Bingo 👩🏻

So you already knew the answer???

Am sure many different areas pronounce it many different ways.  So unless you're in Greece, does it really matter?  And even there, could be different dialects.

Honored Contributor

Funny thing, when we lived in Crete, Greece, we called them Pitas, one of our favorite places to eat was the Pita Stand!