Respected Contributor

Gwyneth Paltrow being sued over ski accident

Image result for gwyneth paltrow sued

Gwyneth Paltrow is facing a lawsuit from a Utah doctor who claims the actress crashed into him while skiing in February 2016.

Terry Sanderson, the man suing the Oscar-winning actress, alleged Paltrow, 46, “was skiing out of control” at the Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, in court documents obtained by KUTV, a local news station in Utah. Sanderson is asking for damages in excess of $3.1 million.

A rep for Paltrow tells PEOPLE, “This lawsuit is completely without merit. Anyone who reads the facts will realize that.”

Sanderson described the incident as “a hit-and-run ski crash at Deer Valley, Utah” where Paltrow allegedly “skied out of control and hit” him in the back, adding she “got up, turned and skied away, leaving Sanderson stunned, lying in the snow, seriously injured,” according to his lawsuit.

“Gwyneth Paltrow knew it was wrong to slam into Dr. Sanderson’s back, knocking him down, landing on top of him, knocking him out and then leave the scene of the ski crash she caused, but she did it anyway,” Sanderson alleged in the lawsuit.

The doctor also claimed a Deer Valley ski instructor, Eric Christiansen, who accompanied the actress, filed a false report alleging Paltrow did not cause the crash.

Christiansen, Deer Valley Resort and two unnamed resort employees are also being sued. A spokesperson for Deer Valley Resort said the resort couldn’t comment on pending legal matters.

Sanderson alleged in his lawsuit that he suffered injuries including a “permanent traumatic brain injury,” four broken ribs, pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress and disfigurement.

During a press conference on Tuesday, Sanderson said, “I remember feeling very sore, and my brain felt like novocaine, I felt really numb.”

Sanderson stated that it took him nearly three years to file a lawsuit because he dragged his feet, ran into problems with previous attorneys and was dealing with the inability to function properly because of the concussion.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gwyneth Paltrow being sued over ski accident

Can't say I've heard of this.  Waiting three years feels odd.  Have to see what comes from the lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how it will play out, but, the Dr. has a witness

Honored Contributor

snip

A witness who saw the crash, however, said he can corroborate Sanderson's account. At a press conference Tuesday, Sanderson's attorney's played a video of the witness who said he "saw Gwyneth Paltrow hit him in the back," reports CBS affiliate KUTV.

Honored Contributor

He f&rted around to long it will get thrown out is my opinion.

ambulance chasing lawyer got ahold of it and is trying to run with the ball

We were in a insurance office just yesterday and she recommended that based on the TV lawyers hollering to call them and they will get you the best settlement "lawyer up" that is why the common man has to carry so much car insurance any more. If your insurance will only pay x amount of damages and your being sued for a xl amount it's you that has to make up the difference if they take U to court and win.

It's getting horrible out there. dog eat dog, snake eat snake. Our house insurance went up a thousand based on the fires and the hurricanes thousands of miles away affects us all.  We 'shopped ' the policy to 3 different agencies all said the same.

Honored Contributor

I hope the truth comes out and if indeed the doctor was injured and they just skied away, well they need to pay for that.

Esteemed Contributor

GP has been sued by those who say she has falsely claimed the benefits of some of her Goop products. She has settled some of those lawsuits. In this case, however, I wonder why the plaintiff waited three years to file the lawsuit. I imagine there will be an out-of-court settlement. As a former figure skater, I know how collisions and accidents happen. I guess there are similar tumbles in skiing. We'll see how this one plays out.

Honored Contributor

If he is lying, I think she could sue him for slander.

Honored Contributor

He probably got in a bind and needed money so he thought how he could make a fast buck I'd imagine.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to jump to conclusions, they both deserve a fair hearing ,before people make up their minds