Super Contributor

Re: Gunshot Wound First Aid Classes for 8-18 Year-Olds

@gardenman, I guess it all boils down to the old saying, guns don't kill people, people kill people.  But it sure would help lower the body count if guns were hard to come by.  Even if we were able to get rid of all guns, people will find other ways to kill each other.  Bombs, poison, knives, hanging, arrows, rocks...the list is long. 

One would think we have evolved beyond this type of violence...guess we have a way to go.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@gardenman, I guess it all boils down to the old saying, guns don't kill people, people kill people.  But it sure would help lower the body count if guns were hard to come by.  Even if we were able to get rid of all guns, people will find other ways to kill each other.  Bombs, poison, knives, hanging, arrows, rocks...the list is long. 

One would think we have evolved beyond this type of violence...guess we have a way to go.

Way, way back, the seventies I believe, a Midwest city worked with the NRA on new gun laws that would impose very harsh penalties on anyone committing a crime of any type with a gun. The law was repealed less than a year later as the homicide rate skyrocketed.

Trauma centers had gotten very good at treating gunshot wounds, and most shooters aren't especially accurate so they're often missing the people they shoot at completely or just wounding them. With the new laws, the would-be shooters took to beating people to death with pipes, baseball bats, golf clubs, etc., or stabbing them multiple times with knives, even beheading them with machetes or Samurai swords. These were injuries that the trauma centers couldn't treat. The trauma centers went to the city and begged them to repeal the gun laws so that the bad guys/gals would go back to shooting people. The city did and the homicide rate dropped back down to "normal" levels. 

Most of the idiots with guns aren't very good at using guns and miss as much as they hit. It's hard to miss someone when you're beating them to death with a pipe or stabbing them. It really is a people problem more than a gun problem. People want easy answers and there are no easy answers. The people who have no problem murdering someone will have no problem breaking a gun control law. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

How sad that we have come to this.

Now in my "great" state of Texas, starting in September everyone will be able to carry handguns without a permit.  I just don't understand.

Respected Contributor

I was hoping I'd wake up this morning and find lots of ideas as to how to spend Philadelphia's $150 million anti-gun violence budget. It's not so easy, is it? 

Super Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@caroln242 wrote:

The people who have no problem murdering someone will have no problem breaking a gun control law. 

Very true.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Yes gun violence only happens in cities. There aren't random shootings or mass shootings in the suburban utopias in certain states. Nope, not at all.

Last Sunday 60 Minutes did a segment about the physical damage done by AR15s. The vast majority can't be saved, people are unrecognizable(that is a sanitized word for it). One of the most depressing stories I have ever seen on tv.

You're setting up a strawman -- no one claims that "gun violence only happens in cities."  Let's get real here: the number of people who die in "random or mass shootings" in what you call "the suburban utopias in certain states" is dwarfed by the number of people who die violently (including in "random or mass shootings") every day of the week in Philadelphia, Washington DC, NYC, Atlanta, Trenton, Newark, St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seatle, Portland -- shall I go on?  If you don't believe that every one of those lives in every one of those cities mattered, then it's time to check your privlege.

Respected Contributor

I was shocked to learn that a couple years ago teachers and admin in our school district went through Stop The Bleed training. The focus was on how to make & apply tourniquets in case there was a school shooting. Such a sad thought.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

There's not a lot that government can do. Those shooting people are breaking the law. Anyone who believes they'd obey a gun law when they don't obey the laws against shooting people may be a bit naive. The results from cities/states with strict gun control measures make it clear the offenders won't stop because of a law. Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country and also has some of the most shootings in the country.

The black market for guns now is thriving. Ironically due to the overhead costs of running a gun store (insurance, compliance with government rules and regulations, etc.) in some/many cases, the black market price for a gun is lower than you could buy the same gun in a licensed gun store.

Even if guns were completely banned, they're not hard to manufacture. Guns have been made since the 1400s. Modern technology makes it pretty easy for someone with a small shop to churn out multiple weapons a day. 

Until people respect the laws or are held accountable for breaking the law, gun deaths will occur. It's truly not a gun issue as much as a lawlessness/lack of respect for the law issue. I haven't checked it lately, but the last I checked the average prison time served for murder was 71 months. That's not all that long. And that's the average. Many serve even less time for murder. 

At last a voice of reason!

Honored Contributor

iRe: Gunshot Wound First Aid Classes for 8-18 Year-Olds

I've heard every excuse for our inexplicable lack of sensible restrictions. I don't find any of them to be useful. They are mere rationalizations -- some quite specious.

Meanwhile, death, injury, and general mayhem ensues.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

First Aid curriculum is a good idea.  It wouldn't hurt adults to brush up on it as well.  I guess adding information on how to care for a gun wound was inevitable.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life