Respected Contributor

Gunshot Wound First Aid Classes for 8-18 Year-Olds

Philadelphia hospitals have created training programs for kids because of the increase in shootings. What to do while waiting for the EMTs. How to make a tourniquet. It's a great idea, but I sure wish it wasn't necessary.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gunshot Wound First Aid Classes for 8-18 Year-Olds

Sad reality of current times.  But if it ends up saving a life because of it then I'm all for it.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like they need more EMT's and better response times doesn't it?

Esteemed Contributor

I could understand maybe a teenager but a child would be devastated. Who makes these decisions??? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Philadelphia hospitals have created training programs for kids because of the increase in shootings. What to do while waiting for the EMTs. How to make a tourniquet. It's a great idea, but I sure wish it wasn't necessary.

@PickyPicky3  Amen, to your last sentence.  After Sandy Hook, The Stop The Bleed training became popular and necessary and after the Parkland shooting it was even more of a necessity down here. 👩‍⚕👮

Unfortunately, these types of programs and protocol have became second nature now in schools, just like a fire drill.  👩‍🚒

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

I guess it's a good thing, but such a sad thing that something like this is needed. I just don't understand the goings on of the world anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

The crime and violence in some of these cities is like living in a war zone.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I could understand maybe a teenager but a child would be devastated. Who makes these decisions??? 

Yes, it's awful. But it's reality. I'd rather my child know how to help and protect themselves than die or watch someone else die.  

Respected Contributor

June 18

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- With the rise in gun violence in Philadelphia, police officers and nurses took the time on Friday to teach residents and children how to save a life after a person may have been shot or stabbed.

Using props and gauze, 18th Police District officers and medical professionals from Penn Medicine were at the Christy Rec Center in Southwest Philadelphia, teaching children and their parents how to stop the bleeding on a wounded victim.

"Bleeding is the leading cause of death," said 18th district officer Justin Harris.

They informed children if someone is wounded, have someone call 911 while others work to stop the bleeding until medics can get there.

"Unfortunately, we are at a time where these things may need to be taught to our youth," added Harris.

Police and residents got together after the event to try and discuss potential solutions amid this continued issue.

"A lot of kids when they see blood, they get traumatized, so now when they see blood, they know how to react until 911 or rescue come," said Eugene Lett of Southwest Philadelphia.

Penn Medicine Trauma Nurse Kristen DiFiore, said, "If they know a little bit of first aid and how to stop the bleeding on the scene, that can make such a difference."

Penn Medicine staff left a lot of tourniquets donated by the American Trauma Society.

18th District officers say they will keep coming back to the recreation center every Friday, introducing new things that can benefit the youth.

Honored Contributor

Not just kids.  Eveyone.  This should be avialable to everyone.