Honored Contributor

Re: Gunshot Wound First Aid Classes for 8-18 Year-Olds

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Last Sunday 60 Minutes did a segment about the physical damage done by AR15s. 

@Greeneyedlady21 

Uh huh!  Have a lot more I want to say about the topic and the source you give here.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Philadelphia is putting together a budget of about $150 million for anti-gun violence programs. When I was young, 

@PickyPicky3 

How about using that money for anti-criminal violence programs. Just the  choice of that 3 letter word? 

Where would I spend that money?  On Law Enforcement and First Responders. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I didn't see the 60 minutes segment you mentioned but a few years ago I read an eye-opening article about why many health care pros wish those more powerful weapons were banned in the regular population.  

@Kalli 

if the idea is to ban "those most powerful weapons"? 60 minutes is looking at the wrong one. They better brush up on what big game hunters use, and it is not an AR-15.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I guess since it's Sunday it's ok to take this thread in a direction that is extremely controversial.  Sunday's are slow moderation days, huh?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

These type of classes have sadly become the new normal now.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

How sad that things have come to this. Instead of getting rid of the guns 

@NicksmomESQ 

Guns like all inanimate objects take someone, usually a human, to activate. I said it awhile back in another post and thread: "I have my gun sitting within easy reach at home at all times. It has yet to start shooting on its own". 

Perspective please. Inanimate objects are not the cause, that would be humans.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

There's a backpack you can buy to use as a shield during gunfire, etc.

Honored Contributor

@CathyNY wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 

From a UC Davis Firearm Injury Prevention Study.  Don't think I can paste the link here.

But the following comes from the Facts and Figures page.  This is a study from year 2019.   The figures are astounding but they are as follows,

39,707 total gun deaths

60% of gun deaths from suicide 23,941

37% of gun deaths from firearm homicide 14,861

The remaining 3% are unintentional or undetermined or legal intervention .  Public mass shootings account for .2% of gun homicides.   

While mass shootings garner lots of news coverage because they are so horrific in nature, the deaths are only .2% of total gun deaths.

It's a sad state of affairs when communities are being instructed on how to help victims of gun violence and government is failing to provide adequate safety and protection to their citizens.

@CathyNY 

Every week and weekend, in certain cities! There are more gun deaths(not by mass shootings) that seem to never make the media. Why is that?

We know, but seems like many others do not. More specifically, the poor people that live in those communities.

Thank you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There is a Mass Shooting Everyday in this country.  Every single day.  Along with the other kinds of shootings.  There are Mass Shootings every single day.  Of course, no one's gonna tell you this, you have to read.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@gardenman, I guess it all boils down to the old saying, guns don't kill people, people kill people.  But it sure would help lower the body count if guns were hard to come by.  Even if we were able to get rid of all guns, people will find other ways to kill each other.  Bombs, poison, knives, hanging, arrows, rocks...the list is long. 

One would think we have evolved beyond this type of violence...guess we have a way to go.

@caroln242 

Criminals will always find guns. Buying mine/registering it/and getting my CCW Permit was not easy, or inexpensive. While tougher gun laws sound good in theory, they don't play out in reality! Look at the states with the most shootings, they mostly are the ones with the strictest laws.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)