Respected Contributor

It's hard to worry about elderly parents when you are far away.

We had that situation with my grandmother. We live on the West coast, and she lived on the East coast. She was in her nineties and refused ANY kind of help. After my grandfather passed, she lived alone on an acre in a country neighborhood. The ONLY "help" she would accept was when a friend (usually close to her age and not in the best of health) would offer to pick something up at the grocery store.

Eventually she could not continue and had to have a live-in caregiver. It was not easy.

I would suggest researching caregiver agencies, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities and other services in her area NOW, so that when and if the time comes that she becomes incapacitated, you will not have to scramble, adding to the stress. Other than that, you have to let her make her choices.

As far as your daughter, tell her that weekend is just nit going to work and she will have to pick another time. Period.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero