Honored Contributor

Re: Guess what baby bats are called?

@on the bay 

I am fascinated by bats and have been for years! I think they're cool little creatures and yes environmentally necessary.

When I visited Austin nearly 30 years ago I made a point of doing the bats at dusk. My cousin who had been there his entire adult life had never bothered! Lol

Half 1 million female bats fly up from Mexico every year in April and have their babies under the Congress Street bridge and leave in October numbering about 1,000,000 and a 1/2! Every evening you can watch them as they come out from under the bridge at dusk. It's like they are choreographed! They take turns coming out 1 end, you can see them hovering waiting their turn, until the air is filled with Mexican free tails. It's definitely something to experience if you're ever in Austin during those months.

I watched a Jeff Corwin show years ago where he was visiting a bat sanctuary in New Zealand I believe it was. He rescued a young bat orphaned in the wild and was taking it back to the sanctuary. They were in the back of a jeep and cuddling!! I almost died! So cute. These were the really big fruit bats that they refer to as flying foxes

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo,

That must be incredible to watch! I never knew about that.

Bats can be very cute. They can't help it if "they have a face only a mother could love" lol.

I've learned to appreciate them through my youngest daughter who ever since she was young and wrote a detailed report about bats in third grade, has thought bats were unique,

special, valuable, and yes cute!

I remember asking her, so what made you want to do a report about bats honey? You know trying to be that openminded mom instead of feeling sort of Morticia-ish talking to little Wednesday!

Though she admits that there are some that are not so cute with as she says "a face only a mother could love."

I had one fly over me a few nights ago.

Loved your story!

Bats unite!

But really, "all creatures great and small"💞

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'm having a really hard time thinking of baby bats as "pups"!  Yuck!  I know that bats are helpful to the enviroment but they all just give me the creeps and I don't want to be near any of them --- big or small!  Possums are very creepy looking but at least they don't fly and dart around your head! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,

Lol! I get itSmiley Happy You made me laugh this morning-cute post😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I think baby bats are called "cute." How could someone dislike them? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Ugliness and beauty are in the eye of the beholder.  All Nature's creatures have their jobs to do to keep our beautiful planet spinning. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Frequent Contributor

Possums eat tons of insects (and it may be literally tons)!

Respected Contributor

Battons?

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Possums look like rats to me. Some bats have dog faces which I think are cute, however, there are some very scary-looking bats, too...really scary.

I think the dog faced bats you're thinking of are called fruit bats or flying foxes.  They're quite large and they think they play a role in the Ebola virus.  I doubt that they bother humans and that they eat fruit.

Honored Contributor

Sign me up as a possum lover.  Anything that reduces the # of ticks is a GOOD thing.

They take such care of their babies.  We have one who lives under our back porch, must have been generations of them, but we only see one at a time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras