Honored Contributor

Grub Hub or Door Dash or any of the others...

[ Edited ]

I've never ordered food from any of those meal delivery places.  The only food I order is for groceries.  Anyway I was thinking about trying one of them.  I know some like Door Dash has a membership fee.  Other like Grubhub don't.  Have anyone of you that have tried them like them?  Are they worth it? 

Super Contributor

Re: Grub Hub or Door Dash or any of the others...

@songbird, I thought that both of those are basically at home deliveries from many restaurants and fast food places. I'm not aware if they do prepared home deliveries. I've used Grubhub for a pizza delivery while at a hotel and I think Doordash for a delivery once from Taco Bell. They both worked out fine, obviously more expensive than just getting it yourself. I think that if you're an Amazon Prime member, Grubhub is included. 

Valued Contributor

I don't know since I have never used them. I do now that the drivers are not really screened and anyone can deliver. There is something about some random stranger delivering food especially with the kind of world we are living in.

Only use people who I know ....

Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

@songbird, I thought that both of those are basically at home deliveries from many restaurants and fast food places. I'm not aware if they do prepared home deliveries. I've used Grubhub for a pizza delivery while at a hotel and I think Doordash for a delivery once from Taco Bell. They both worked out fine, obviously more expensive than just getting it yourself. I think that if you're an Amazon Prime member, Grubhub is included. 

I mean any meal from a restaurant.  I guess I shouldn't have said prepared meals.  I didn't know about Amazon and Grubhub.  I am a prime member.  

Respected Contributor

DoorDash doesn't require a membership fee, but if you use it frequently, it probably makes sense to join.

I can usually cook in less time than it takes to get a delivery.  Even places two or three miles from my house sometimes take 45 minutes.  The same meal I pay $17 for when I pick it up myself can be $30 to have delivered.  It makes those Corky's wings and Heartland Fresh chicken in my freezer seem cost effective/

Honored Contributor

Perhaps I don't understand the question.  I ordered from both and from Ubereats.   I order groceries and meals from restaurants.  These are delivery services, they don't cook food.  The pick it up from the restaurant you order from through their app.  I live in the Boston area so I have access to all manner or restaurants.  They are worth it to me.  There's a restaurant that makes the absolute best salads in the world.  There's probably 20 salads to choose from and they are huge.  I order a couple a week.  I put them in a Tupperware type bowl and we have salad for the week.  I have not done the membership thing with Door Dash.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird I frequently order from both. Door Dash has a discount fee program, but I am not registered for it and for me, it doesn't pay to join it. You definitely don't need to pay any membership fee to use their services. Same with GrubHub. I just registered using my email and a password. I use a credit card with both. I'm very satisfied with the customer service from both companies. If you have a problem with an order they will make it right. You will get money back or can choose a credit if you want. I have had multiple refunds when restaurants have left out a part of an order...no hassles with a any time I've contacted CS from GrubHub about an order. I have only contacted Door Dash once with a problem and I was refunded. I love knowing that if we're too tired to put together dinner we can just order. TIP: Always check the delivery fee for each restaurant. They are different. Some places charge zero delivery fee. Some charge more. My deliveries are very fast. This depends on the distance you are from the restaurant you're ordering from. You can always order earlier in the day and choose a delivery time for later. 

I have had some items missing from orders a couple of times. Each time, it was the fault of the restaurant, not GrubHub. If it's one thing missing they usually offer to refund the price of the item. If it's more than one missing item they issue you a full refund even though you still received all the other food. One time I had to call them because it was just one item, but I wanted a full refund because it was the main dinner  for one person. I was given a full refund. It's a problem when I order chicken strips from KFC. I usually don't get enough dipping sauces. For this, I have taken the refund for the missing sauces.

I don't use the app. It's not necessary. Just go to their sites and register. You will get confirmations of orders via email. You can track all your orders. They also deliver from non food places now, such as CVS, convenience stores. The list of non food places is growing quickly. Very handy if you need something quickly, for example, you have a headache and you realize you're out of Tylenol. I put a short cut to my desktop on my iPad for quick access.

I don't use Uber. There is no customer service with them. You can't use an iPad with them. You need a cell phone with number to order,

Last night, one of our favorite places had a $12 off coupon. This allowed me to try something new. I used the discount for some fantastic Asian wings. 

TIP: Restaurant prices vary by the restaurant. Some charge more with the delivery service than in the restaurant, some charge the same. The menus can be different than in the restaurants too.

TIP: I don't open the door for the delivery. You can set up how you want your delivery done. I track my orders but I also get an immediate email when my delivery arrives. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're terrible. First of all, the charges for their services are OUTRAGEOUS. If you have a problem with an order, try getting a refund and believe me, you will have problems with orders. The food is terrible, missing, incorrect, cold etc or never even arrives at all. 

I had so much trouble that I ended up not using any of them. If I can't get food delivered or go get it myself, I don't order out.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Esteemed Contributor

I have used both & like them. I don't pay any membership fees & sometimes they email me coupons for discounted meals.

Sometimes life happens & I just can't cook,it's nice to have these services as backups.I find them efficient & timely. If there's ever an issue with a delivery, they always make it right.

Honored Contributor

When I order from Mazzios or Pizza Hut, I use their delivery service.

Most recently, we use Uber Eats.

I don't pay any membership but expect to pay any additional fees plus tip for the convenience of having a meal delivered.