Honored Contributor

Re: Growing Up Who Was The Disciplinarian

Neither one was very good at it.  Lol

Respected Contributor

I was an only child, so rather than using the word disciplinarians, they were more protective and hovering.

I was an easy kid, drew, played and explored independently and had a few close friends through my growing years.  Only if I wasn't home at the designated hour, my father went out on "patrol" until he tracked me down and brought me home.  Any  punishment was not being allowed to play outside for a while.  Length of time mitigated by how much I wined at the front window.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

Both. My mother was a stay at home mother with 7 children and my father was a manufactur's rep and on the road a lot with a rather large territory. 

Valued Contributor

I would have to say neither and there were 7 of us. My parents were both loving and caring. They would always tell us that we were the best kids that never gave them any problems. We were never hit or yelled at, just hugged and kissed a lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraft 

I can relate to your sweetness of protective and hovering than those disciplinary tasks.

There was a lot of thought that went into that, I am thinking. 

I am the oldest, and naturally set the pattern in how to conduct myself.

Remembering back, I had a very close knit family with love, happy times; everyone had a sense of humour.

God centered our home with love.

And, the worse, I thought, was... just how hovered.

Little things having to be home right at 8pm - never allowed to car date alone, and if so with another couple, it was 12 midnight on the dot. 

I never heard one single curse worse, and my dad was my hero, my mom my mentor. 

Having to be honest here, I was a very head strong girl and was allowed to make my own decisions while in school.

We traveled across the country two times; that taught patience. 

I loved being young, but more important I listened to wisdom, and hopefully brought those values to our only child.

Yes, I liked being thought of as hovered- PRotective, not disciplined... but not necessarily anyone taming me- ~~

I am 'A'  tame - less case, and always will be. 

My mom made the rules. Dad taught us why the rules were beneficial. I grew up quickly, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal ,

Your childhood sounds wonderful, and wouldn't it be not a blessing for all children to never have the chance -some day- to write those same caring words in their memory book~... as yours?

I am of a definite mindset that there are many people, married or not as parents ..et cetra that should never

/ ever/ even consider having children.

A lot of adults, though, that do make that that decision  (not having children)  did not have a very happy one, personally.     'just my thoughts'- through education'.

...BUT!  Praise the ones that did [change] everything to the better when having their own.  Woman Happy

I find that image difficult not having the gift to be a mom, Smiley Happy YES,...............

and I speak for my husband, also as Heart DADHeart

Thank you for posting such a postive post. Very rare, from what I often read. 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

That's Interesting Jordan... And how did you raise your kids? Just wondering...

When I was growing up, my Mom was more the mush, never physically touched us. She was not hit as a kid.

My Father had a horrible temper and would beat us in rage- He used his rubber moccasin. We would leave the marks on us. He was also hit as a child. I remember thinking all men must be like this. Traumatic. And we were not bad kids, just energetic... and he wanted us to sit in the corner and shut up.

I vowed I would never lay a hand on my child, and my husband & I never did. 

@Skyegirl21  I don't have children, I took care of my mother for many many years. I like to think I would have raised my children without getting physical with them, that's not me, but who knows.

Respected Contributor

I was definitely a daddy's girl for sure, so I would say my mother. 

Not unless I completely ****** my father off, and well

let's just say that my butt would definitely feel it! 
Straightened me out right quick for sure!

( PS and by the way - love ya daddy!)

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

@NAES1: Yes,my siblings and I were very Blessed to have had them both. When my dad was in his last stages of Alzheimer's. My older brother said, pop is looking at the help wanted ads because. He says he needs to go to work to feed and dress his kids. That says it all, on what kind of father I had. Woman HappyHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

@NAES1: Yes,my siblings and I were very Blessed to have had them both. When my dad was in his last stages of Alzheimer's. My older brother said, pop is looking at the help wanted ads because. He says he needs to go to work to feed and dress his kids. That says it all, on what kind of father I had. Woman HappyHeart

Dear cactusgal, my belief while growing up,  having special parents as yours I understand oh so well. What an extraordinary father your father was, and OH THE `Memories` you must have.

It's wonderful, for me, to read back your posts.

I told a very lovely older woman here on the chat line several years ago ~ " I have absolutely no idea, what I did to be gifted into such a wonderful family, along with the most caring - providing parents", and instantly she said back, you did nothing, you were blessed...

and I never forgot that".

I have heard of several nice writing of pleasant,caring parents but nothing as short and concise as yours. 

I am apologizing by a late reply, but I had just signed on.

Rarely, do I visit community, nor, have time to spend reading, but the topic was of great interest to me. 

Thank you, @cactusgal  ~ Most of my time is doing medical research ...and for the past few days considering to answer back if I would or could be involved as a teaching medial asset withing the radius of our 35 neighborhood miles explaining to families that are in quarantine during this very unfortunate time.

People- every where are scare, confused; someone from the local wherewithal (??) hospital has my name [as on line teaching clinical infectious, autoimmune] where I had done this very same same a few years ago. THEY NEED Right now, I have to do a lot of preparing.

I am very glad to have met you, especially your family story. Thank you Smiley Happy for being such a positive person, here. 

NAES