Respected Contributor

Re: Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

[ Edited ]

Never ate out because there was little money.  And believe or not, my parents did not have a car.  There was a great, authentic pizza place owned and operated by first generation Italian immigrants. and we would get a pizza delivered about once every month or two.  Can't find a pizza like that around here anymore.  I remember how delicious and special it was.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep. Sunday brunch after church. And dinner out was usually part of other events like going to a movie. I was really lucky. I got to try a lot of different cuisines.

My favorite was french. Either frites with bearnaise sauce, or a french brunch with a long section of baguette and a croissant and lots of strawberry jam. Nowadays I can't afford to eat all those carbs. Woman Indifferent

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

On an occasion we went to Howard Johnson's when they had the Fish Fry All You Can Eat Specials.  We had to go for fish because my mother loved fried fish.  We lived in FL winters until i was 11. 

There was a fish restaurant in W Palm Beach FL, Proctor's, that served All you Can Eat Fish. There was always a long line to get in and by the time the food arrived, my sister and i were in a sugar coma from drinking glasses of water doused with sugar packets. 

a few times Mama Gilda's in WPB, an Italian Restaurant. As we got older, we no longer went out to eat. My Dad wasn't big on restaurant food anyway. Meat and potatoes for him. We did go for Carvel ice cream though.

Respected Contributor

We ate out about once a week. It was my dad, mom, little sister and me. This was in the 1950s. Indianapolis, Indiana. After church we would often go to a popular cafeteria. Sometimes on a Friday or Saturday night, to a big drive in restaurant that was brightly lit, super busy and fun. Other times to a Big Boy restaurant. On our birthday my sister and I got to choose. She always wanted a steak, haha  just a little kid. My favorite was the Italian restaurant with dim lights, candles dripping down raffia wrapped wine bottles. I ordered spaghetti and meatballs every time. The fast food restaurant closest to us was Burger Chef. That was a once in a while deal. Although I begged for it constantly til my mom would just about snap 😁 And of course Steak n Shake. Love that place!
My folks were both white collar professionals so we had a very comfortable middle class life. 
My sweet hubby was one of thirteen kids, with a father who worked in a factory and a mother who was always pregnant. They were very poor. Didn't have a car or money for enough food or clothes at times.  

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Never ate out because there was little money.  And believe or not, my parents did not have a car.  There was a great, authentic pizza place owned and operated by first generation Italian immigrants. and we would get a pizza delivered about once every month or two.  Can't find a pizza like that around here anymore.  I remember how delicioius and special it was.

@PhilaLady1 since you mentioned pizza, my mom and dad would eat at this restaurant in Bensonhurst Famous Cafeteria. My brother, sister, and I would go to the pizzeria down the block, with $3 in hand we each got two slices of pizza, a drink, and Italian ice and still had change left to give to my dad! I have to say I love topics that we can all tell our stories, I enjoy reading them and it gives me a little insight to those on these boards.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

7 of us kids so not very often. We would eat at the Amana Colonies now and then and served family style dinners.  Place was always so busy. We ate as a family at home.  We  just couldn't afford to do that growing up. Summer was more laid back.

We did have a good time growing up.  Dinner at grandparents and my aunts and fishing trips with picnics.  My aunts would take us on trips but we took turns and not all of us at once.  My brother and I went to Chicago and slept in a fancy hotel, zoo, museums, fountain and just a great time.  As we grew up and the older ones got jobs or left home the younger ones got to go on some trips.

My husband and I have never been big on eating out.   We had fun cooking at home and trying different dishes.  We also invited others to eat over.  

We did go out and had fun doing so but eating out just not a biggy for us.

Honored Contributor

No, we didn’t. Dad would bring home pizza every once in awhile. Mom was a stay at home Mom until all kids were in school and older so we couldn’t afford it.

Esteemed Contributor

Quite a bit....Friday was payday for my dad so every Friday, we'd go to the bank then out for dinner. A lot of times on Sunday after church we'd go to the next town over and go somewhere for lunch. Occasionally on Sunday evenings, we would order a pizza or get KFC.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can count on one hand the number of times my family went out to dinner when I was a child 

Edited to add: I can count on one finger the number of family vacations we went on as a child. Road trip from Chicago to Wisconsin 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 We ate out every other week when my dad's paycheck occurred.  There was a small diner downtown that I still remember was homemade, good service & pretty reasonable.  Thank you for reminding me of that experience as it was such a good memory.