Respected Contributor

Re: Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

[ Edited ]

We went to Howard Johnson's after church on many Sundays, and my mother would load the jukebox with quarters and play her favorite song, Bobby Darren's version of "Mac the Knife."  Everyone had hotdogs and Coke except for the brother who loved fried clams.  And there was a trampoline mini-park next door.  And then we fed ducks at a pond. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

.. I was an only child and we did go out to eat a great deal when I was younger. However, Friday nights were Father Daughter Date Nights . We'd go to the same diner every Friday Night for Manny's Clam Dinners. Back then, there was no eating meat on Fridays in our house.. After that, we'd head to a store and he'd let me pick out an outfit of some kind, but it had to be lavender..lol He loved that color. Me, not so much... From there we'd have to stop at the firehouse to see what was happening and it never failed , that dang siren would go off, I'd be set in the chair next to the dispatcher and be told not to move from that spot. I'd watch dad hope on the truck and off he'd go.. I often wondered if he'd come back for me, scary for a little girl.. He always did... : ) Oh how I wish for those days again : ( Sorry I rambled, but the op brought back that memory. Thank you for that....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

And the tartar sauce..lol

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 No way!  I grew up in the south on peas, okra, squash, and such.  My dad often raised cattle that was butchered and we had one freezer alone just for meats.  It was a rare occurence if we ate out for sure.