Honored Contributor

Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

Growing up we didn't have money for trips, but every Sunday or sometimes Saturday too we ate out as a family. Now my dad didn't like fast food, he liked to sit down and be served ( he was a generous tipper). When we visited my father's mother in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn we always ate at a Chinese restaurant ( our favorite). After she died we kept the tradition up and ate Chinese food every Sunday but at a different place.. When we went to Radio City ( they had a movie and The Rockettes) we ate at a seafood place called Patsys. The few times we ate fast food my mother would "hold the table" , she sat like a queen ordering us kids to get napkins, utensils, and condiments! My poor dad had to wait on line for food ( if you went to Nathan's you waited on different lines). Some people have great memories of childhood trips, mine are eating memories. Forgive me if you find I was rambling but I was in a nostalgic mood.

Honored Contributor

Re: Growing Up Did You Eat Out A Lot

Only when we traveled on road trips across country and usually at Dairy Queens because there were few fast food restaurants, none in our town.  Mom & dad would find a nice family restaurant for breakfast and dinner.  Otherwise, we always ate at home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Growing up we didn't have money for trips, but every Sunday or sometimes Saturday too we ate out as a family. Now my dad didn't like fast food, he liked to sit down and be served ( he was a generous tipper). When we visited my father's mother in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn we always ate at a Chinese restaurant ( our favorite). After she died we kept the tradition up and ate Chinese food every Sunday but at a different place.. When we went to Radio City ( they had a movie and The Rockettes) we ate at a seafood place called Patsys. The few times we ate fast food my mother would "hold the table" , she sat like a queen ordering us kids to get napkins, utensils, and condiments! My poor dad had to wait on line for food ( if you went to Nathan's you waited on different lines). Some people have great memories of childhood trips, mine are eating memories. Forgive me if you find I was rambling but I was in a nostalgic mood.

Never, ever.  We were lucky to go see a movie at the drive-in once a summer.  Or sometimes an ice cream cone.  There were six of us kids.  Didn't have the money.

Honored Contributor

No....and still don't.  Health is a priority in my family.

Honored Contributor

Almost every Friday night we ate at an Italian restaurant , I still remember those wonderful aromas. 🍝🍕

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in Brooklyn in the 1950's and the only fast food place around was Nathan's.  We would go there when my parents took me to Coney Island.  Occasionally we would go to a favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant, especially in the summer since they had outdoor dining.  We also went to a Chinese restaurant, but that was rare.  Other than that, we ate at home.  My father died when I was ten, so after that it wasn't easy for my mother.

Honored Contributor

My parents did like to eat out.  The first thing I remember are picnics, though.  When I was little, my parents used to pack up my three older sisters and me and head to the lake (Lake Ontario) for picnics.

So much fun to eat on a checkered tablecloth on a rustic table or on the beach itself, looking toward the long dock and the sparkling, pretty lake dotted with sailboats.  Bonus fun were the swings to play on, and later, ice cream cones (with the ice cream in a funny cylinder shape) from a shoreline stand.

On special occasions, we'd go to steakhouses and other restaurants.  Big deal occasions, we'd go to the town hotel, a handsome, white tablecloth/candlelight establishment.  Loved that!   I was always impatient at the end of the meal when my parents wanted to linger and relax over coffee, especially my poor mother, who I'm sure enjoyed the vacation from cooking!

We used to go out in the car for A&W rootbeer and burgers, and Dairy Queen too.  Fun times.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  Never.  And, we only ate what my Mother liked.

Honored Contributor

Yes we did!  Woman Very Happy  Lots of local restaurants (two known especially for PIE; one for liver and onions; one for blue plate specials and cream of celery soup and THE best hot rolls ever!), cafes, and barbecur places and local drive-in's where we would go for burgers on summer nights!   A burger and root beer in a frosty icy mug!

Regular Contributor

When I was really young and there were only my sister and I we went out to a diner, or an Italian restaurant.  But three more kids came along, then my father was laid off for several months and we never went out after all that.

Our treat was on Friday Breyer's had the flavor of the week, and if she could, my mother would get a half gallon,