Honored Contributor

Group vote! Car insurance renewal question

So some of you may remember my car has been run over a lot.  Three times now.   Twice by men in pick up trucks who don't know what a stop sign is.  The last accident almost totaled my car which was valued at the time at about $7000 with $6000 in damages.

My insurance renewal just came in the mail   My car is a 2013 and I'm thinking after five years and three accidents,  if someone runs me over again, I'm buying a new car.  The only issue I would have with that is it only has 19,000 miles on it and it is paid off.

Not one of these accidents has been my fault.  The other driver has always paid for repair so keeping collision for me would be for my stupidity for a minor incident or I came very close last time to being forced to use my own insurance because the idiot guy wasn't cooperating until I personally threatened him.  But, I think in both cases, god forbid, I would just buy a new car or pay out of pocket for minor nonsense.  

Question of the day:  I think I am answering my own question here but can anyone see any reason to still keep collision?  It would save me $150 off my renewal to drop it.     

Honored Contributor

Re: Group vote! Car insurance renewal question

[ Edited ]

$150 for a year?

The vibe I'm getting is that you've had a run of bad luck with this vehicle and I don't know if I see that stopping.  $150 is a pretty small sum compared to just ONE incident.

Have you shopped insurance?  Or how about increasing the deductible?  That would bring the cost down.

Respected Contributor

Can you afford to buy a new car out of your own pocket?

There is no guarantee that your next accident won't be your fault. There is also no guarantee the next driver who hits you will be insured.

If you are willing to take the risk, then go for it. I wouldn't. 

What do you mean by personally threatening someone?

Honored Contributor

a 2013 car with low mileage?

i would not drop the collision part of the insurance.....not on an only 5 year old car.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I keep my collision coverage even though my car is old. There's only about a $7 / mo savings if I were to drop it.

Honored Contributor

Unless my car was super old (and I don't consider a 5 year old car to be old) and on its last leg, I would never, ever drop collission on a vehicle that I drive every single day.  You just never know.  You could be in an accident that isn't really your fault and get cited for it and end up with a wrecked car and no insurance to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's another thing that came to mind for me -

If your life is anything like mine, and I sincerely hope it is NOT, this is the way it would go:

Keep collision coverage and nothing will ever happen.

Delete collision coverage and, most assuredly, something will happen.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  $150 is for 6 months.  I could play with the deductible but I've done that before and it's not much off.  I'm just wondering if it's financially stupid to insure a car that's been damaged three times already.  I have been with this company since I began driving over 25 years ago so comparison wise I can never beat the discounts I have built up.

@Ms tyrion2 I hear you which is why I'm asking because I don't know what I don't know and everyone is usually so helpful here. 

What I meant by personally threatening is the insurance company which was both his and mine was just fine sitting back and letting him ignore phone calls even with a clear cut liability case.  They were willing to wait for up to a month or more to give him time to give his side of the story because he "might be busy." And if I wanted my car repaired, I could take responsibility for the accident.  They didn't care since they were paying either way and the longer he stalled, the more time they had to not pay out the claim.  Not happening when a kid blows a stop sign and gets a ticket and I have a car I thought was totaled.    

I had to text the kid and tell him he could return their phone call or I could file court papers.  He called that day and then I got a phone call from the insurer to "get my side of the story."  I got another phone call 5 minutes later to say they determined he was 100% liable.  No kidding.

Honestly if I could throw these people over for a cheaper policy I would.  I was not happy.      

Honored Contributor

If financially feasible, I would sell the vehicle that has been repaired three times as soon as possible.  That's too much time in the body shop for my comfort.  Get what you can for the current vehicle and purchase a new car.  You'll feel safer, and your dollars spent on collision insurance will be worth the expenditure.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Here's another thing that came to mind for me -

If your life is anything like mine, and I sincerely hope it is NOT, this is the way it would go:

Keep collision coverage and nothing will ever happen.

Delete collision coverage and, most assuredly, something will happen.

Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt  I know!!  I always pay my bills the second they come in and I've held onto this one a bit because I just know it's gonna happen if I do it.

Well, you guys are surprising me.  It sounds like I should keep it even though it's been run over so much.