Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery, supply chain shortages could end soon

[ Edited ]

Part of the shopping frenzy is due to school closings all over the country.  If I were a Mom of young kids, I'd be shoppin' with the rest of the stunned parents.  An entirely different weekly grocery run includes a lot of items not too necessary while schools are in session.

I asked  my son,  daughter-in-law and third-grade granddaughter yesterday what they thought of school being closed as of tomorrow.

Grandchild said she was sad. Mom said the poor kid had shed tears over the closing--and so did her parents, but  not for the same reasons! 

DIL said when this is all over, maybe she can add  "home-schooler" to her resume. 

She's hired a teenager to work on some days  with our granddaughter on the required schoolwork  to be done at home.

Both parents work, are somewhat able to work at home but not entirely, and I feel for what they and other parents of youngsters are going through.  DIL has mothers of multiple young children working for her, and they all are going to  have to adjust, somehow.

People like them probably comprise many of the frantic shoppers seen in the grocery stores for the past few days.

And with all the little cereal-eaters out there, no wonder I saw no milk at the store today.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 That's exactly what happened here.  They closed school and the stampede began.  My local Publix had a truck in this morning replenishing produce.  And as my cashier said, you know it's all fresh!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 @novamc1 - I went out briefly To my Publix after lunch to buy a few more things. I was thrilled to find potatoes were in stock.  They haven't had any the other times I've stopped in. 

I usually never keep potatoes at home, but I had bought a few, like 4 a week or so ago and we're already down to 1.  Since they had tons, I bought 6 today. 

I keep thinking they're going to put us on shutdown, like Italy, and I'm trying to keep us fully stocked.  

I also bought some chicken today since they had some meat in stock. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I live in a small town in northern Mississippi and we have limited resources to begin with.  Currently there is one family owned grocery store, one drug store, also family owned and one Dollar General.  Needless to say, there appears that people are preparing for the appocalypse as there are NO paper products and shelves are bare.

Respected Contributor

I was checking my bathrooms for bleach last night (over a gallon, I'm fine), and what did I discover but a huge bottle of hand sanitizer. It' s not Purell and I don't like that stuff anyway, but for five seconds, I felt like I'd won the lottery.

I've put off shopping until tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get most of what's on my list. I trust there hasn't been a run on light bulbs and coat hangers, but you never know. And there had better be cat food.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mean while until then if you need hand sanitizer. I know where you can get it.

ESdKvirXYAYtJlm.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Smiley Surprised  You have meat?!!  That's a gold strike.

I found potatoes too!  Took the last of the two small sweet potato bags.  It's my main staple.  And I won't even speak of my current peanut butter stash.  😂