Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery, supply chain shortages could end soon

I think some people are going back more than one day.  Perhaps they didn't get what they needed the first time but I also think some people are trying to get all they can everyday.

I feel so sorry for single moms/dads who work all day, stop on the way home for supplies and cannot find anything.

This is getting beyond being reasonable.

Add to that the news saying that this will continue to June and then return in the fall.

I feel so sorry for those who cannot stock up; and I feel so sorry for those who live hand to mouth with paultry paychecks.

All of this rush to stores is great for those with the $$ to do so; but for those without extra $$ this is going to be tragic.

Try to donate a little bit to your local food bank and/or church. 

We have always been prepared mostly from living up north with threats of severe snowstorms and all, especially living out in the boonies.

So we are not running out to over-buy anything.

I hope no person will end up with not enough food. 

We didn't cause this pandemic no matter what anybody tries to say.

It's here and we need to deal with it as a community.

Be kind to a neighbor and if you have to go out remember the person next to you is just trying to survive, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in the next town over (about 30 minutes away).  She said she went to Publix and they were stocked pretty well.  A good selection of meats, fruits, veggies and even had toilet paper.  On the other hand, my local Publix and Kroger's are empty. 

Valued Contributor

@novamc1 Thankfully the stores here appeared to recover overnight. Yesterday evening there were lots of reports on the news about stores being out of everything, this morning my daughter and I went to Harris Teeter (grocery store) and Walgreens. 

HT had everything we needed, including Clorox wipes, TP, and water. Things were priced so well too! Lots of BOGO and sale prices. 

Walgreens appeared to be well restocked also. My daughter got her shampoo, deodarant, and batteries to change her smoke alarms (forgot to do it with the time change). I noticed off brand liquid soaps and sanitizers, but we didn't need any.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I remember my Mother standing in a long line for either shoes or butter during WW11 with rations.  Must have been food.  My Grandmother had what they called, BLACK MARKET ,connections.  This has nothing to do with race.  It was illegal to get certain items like, Hershey bars, nylons,etc. Grandma had three Boxes of the chocolates hidden.  She was sending them overseas to my Dad who was in the infantry during Ww11.  Lots of food items were hard to come by then.

I was born after WW2, so I don't remember,any of that, but my mother said she  lived with her sister at the time and her sister's husband worked for the railroad.

He brought home sugar, flour, nylons and other items that you could not buy in the stores that he got right off of the railroad cars. My mother said they were fortunate that they always had enough food.

I remember seeing those ration coupon books...my parents had them in their keepsake box.

I hope it never comes to this again.  I would hate to have to have a coupon for TP.

Respected Contributor

@SunSprite 

I stopped in a Publix today on my way home from somewhere else and found NO milk, not much bottled water, partially empty meat counters, only one type of bread (honey wheat) , but plenty of fresh produce and most other items.

A really mixed bag.

I was amazed at the lack of traffic on roads and in the store----of course it's Sunday, but this was after most church services had been long over.

Suspect that people are just staying home and out of the path of germs---and other people.

Valued Contributor

@novamc1  I know! I was surprised at the lack of traffic, although that was early this morning. HT had lots of fresh, nice looking produce too. Also OTC medicines, should they be needed. My daughter purchased some NyQuil for herself (not for Covid-19) and they asked for her drivers license. I had forgotten they do that when buying certain OTC meds. 

We just got word that our Governor (South Carolina) will be holding a press conference at 4 to announce closing SC schools. Traffic should be super light tomorrow for us. Smiley Tongue

stay safe novamc, hope this passes us right on by

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I think some people are going back more than one day.  Perhaps they didn't get what they needed the first time but I also think some people are trying to get all they can everyday.

I feel so sorry for single moms/dads who work all day, stop on the way home for supplies and cannot find anything.

This is getting beyond being reasonable.

Add to that the news saying that this will continue to June and then return in the fall.

I feel so sorry for those who cannot stock up; and I feel so sorry for those who live hand to mouth with paultry paychecks.

All of this rush to stores is great for those with the $$ to do so; but for those without extra $$ this is going to be tragic.

Try to donate a little bit to your local food bank and/or church. 

We have always been prepared mostly from living up north with threats of severe snowstorms and all, especially living out in the boonies.

So we are not running out to over-buy anything.

I hope no person will end up with not enough food. 

We didn't cause this pandemic no matter what anybody tries to say.

It's here and we need to deal with it as a community.

Be kind to a neighbor and if you have to go out remember the person next to you is just trying to survive, too.

@Cakers3- kindness goes a long way. Thank you for your common sense advice, and for reminding us all how good it feels to give. Stay safe.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I will never understand what it is about people that makes so many behave irrationally like this. 

@willdob3- I think it's fear. We're scared since this is unprecedented. Anxiety makes people do crazy things. I thought I had plenty of food in the house, but then when I read what people were buying, something came over me and I realized I didn't prepare at all, at least compared to others. We'll be going shopping this week. I do believe that before long, we will all be quarantined, whether it be 2 weeks or 8 weeks, which is what Anthony Fauci suggested, I'm taking what he said seriously, as he seems to be one of the few with common sense rather than a talking puppet.

Be safe everyone, and keep away from crazy people with loaded shopping carts Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I think social media is responsible for a large portion of the hoarding, panic buying, empty shelves. Lots of false rumors going around. 

I heard on a local radio station that someone started a completely false rumor on Twitter that the governor of my state was going to declare a two week shelter in place. Not true, sadly so many people can throw anything out on Twitter and other people believe it. I'm only on Instagram, wouldn't join Twitter if you paid me.

I was in a grocery store early last week and they had plenty of milk and other things I needed. I'm afraid everything will be gone this week. Ridiculous.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This hoarding frenzy has brought out the ugly. My son's friend has a son that stocks she!ves at walmart. A lady knocked this poor kid off a ladder as he was restocking TP so that she could grab some rolls. And of course then she ran off with her prize. SMH