Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery store over charge

@SydneyH wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

You wouldn't be able to get a receipt before paying anywhere I worked....receipt didnt print til card or $ went in.  No pay,no receipt.

I don't know how far back that was, but now most stores I shop and work at can print out a sale before a tender is processed.  You can also view it on small terminal that it used for payments.

Less than 2 years ago.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden.  My local Safeway store used to be better.  A few years ago, I had a problem, and mailed them through their website and the store manager called me to discuss the issue and he apologized and said it would be brought up at the next employee meeting.  

I think they have a different manager now...most of the staff seems new.   I gave all of my info in the email, including my name and number.  No one ever contacted me.   Their loss!  We have many good options for grocery shopping where I live.   

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Less than 2 years ago.  

Guess the tech has been upgraded, potential invoices can be printed now, though they don't expect customers to go there, I do.

Regular Contributor

I retired from Safeway a year ago. Did my time with Safeway, 40 years. liked my job until albertsons took over. Safeway is NOT Safeway any longer. It's albertsons. They work their people into the ground. The pricing people have responsibilities that you would not believe. More often than not 1 person has the responsibility of pricing for the entire store.  We're talking pricing and signage of over 15000 items that changes daily.They can easily work 15 hr days just trying to keep up and still not be done. Albertsons ruined Safeway. Employees are beat into the ground and frazzled. The morale is shot. Communication within the stores is shot so if you report a pricing error it might never reach the pricing manager. 

Respected Contributor

Unless I buy something that is BOGO or similar, I don't check my receipt or watch as the items are scanned.  I don't know what the price is supposed to be of every item in my cart.  Even if I did notice when I put it in, I would never remember by the time I got to the checkout :-) 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

I ask for a copy of my reciept before I pay, they don't like it but I don't care, I find mistakes quite frequently especially with younger cashiers.

“..younger cashiers”.

What does age have to do with it?

And what business has the old timey punch-in-the-amount cash till?

Even in my hometown of no-stop-sign, the little grocery has the scan.  

Cashiers of all ages just scan & go.  No age attached to price check.

Unless someone is still,living in, oh,1980.

Yes!  

And beside that, it's always so easy to blame the young ones.  As if people of other ages don't make mistakes too.  I see complaints here all the time about how lazy the younger generation is, all they do is play games on their phones, etc.  Yet when young people have jobs, they're criticized because they're inexperienced.  They just can't win no matter what.  The good old days were not all rosy, and the younger generation is just fine, IMO.  (Whole different topic, I realize!)

And isn't the point of a receipt to show what was purchased and that it was paid for?  I have no use for a receipt that's generated before I've paid..  For me, watching as each item scans and checking my receipt before I leave the store works very well.  I've been doing it that way for as long as I can remember, and I've never once gone home and found a mistake.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I work parttime in Customer Service in a grocery store, a midwest chain.  Corporate identifies the ads and sale prices.  But if barcodes don't match exactly, the sale price doesn't always ring in.  We have a whole team of people who have to update prices for sale prices and sometimes things get missed.

More often than not, the customer purchased the wrong brand or type, such as organic vs regular, or a specific type vs the sale type.  But we'll usually honor the sale prices if they have the receipt.

Be patient.  It's not the store's fault 99.9% of the time.  

Take your receipt to customer service and they'll gladly fix it for you.

@CalminHeart   This issue I have is not about going to CS and fixing it for me.... It was that I went a week prior with this  overcharge and told the CX person that they needed to fix the price mistake IN THE SYSTEM...  and a week later I go back and get charged over 100 percent AGAIN 

It's still the same thing.  Vendors change barcodes like you and I drink water.  They rarely tell a store/chain about the new barcode.  If the new barcode isn't in the system, the sale price doesn't ring up.   

@CalminHeart    Broccolli does not have a vendor... this is  produce. Please read the thread before you type.

Of course broccoli has a vendor.  Where do you think it comes from?

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

If an item rings up at a lower price than what the sign says or what the sticker says, I don't feel the need to let them know that they might be undercharging me and to check it out. Who knows what the correct price is anyway. And I would never drive right back to the store to let them know.

Do they send someone over to my house to give me back the difference when they overcharge me? No. They tell me to come back to the store to get it...or to ask for it the next time I'm there. And most times, there's no apology either.

Apparently, they're not concerned about overcharging customers. I'm sure there have been many times when I had been overcharged and hadn't noticed. I'm sure not going to worry about them getting back their money.

One time, while buying several items at an accessories shop for my daughter, I had been watching what was being rung up...all the items had been on sale or on clearance. At one point, I saw that the original price had been rung up, but she had noticed that, too because she hesitated. She had stopped to look at the price and then back at the register. However, she didn't do anything - she continued on with the next item.

I stopped her and told her that the sale price didn't ring up on the other item. The look on her face said that she had hoped I hadn't noticed that. She just said something about that she had thought it did, too. I said, "Yes, I saw that you had noticed, but you had continued on anyway."

It's wrong to pay less, and trying to justify that by saying you may have been overcharged in the past doesn't fly with me.  You can do whatever you want, of course, but personally I wouldn't pay less than the correct price just as I wouldn't pay more than the correct price.

For me it goes both ways.  If they undercharge or overcharge, I speak up.  It's only fair.

Esteemed Contributor

Do those of you who check,your prices at the cash register and point out errors write down the price of everything as you put items in your cart?  How do you know what the price is,supposed to be?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery store overIn charge

@depglass wrote:

In Michigan there are penalties in these cases, you can recover either 5 or 10 times the amount of the error.  In your case that would have been a nice little sum.  I haven't seen a pricing error in years.

I don't live in an area with penalties (at least I'm not aware of any), but I also haven't seen a pricing error in a very long time.  And I look at the charge for every item very carefully everywhere I go.