Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery store over charge

@CalminHeart wrote:

I work parttime in Customer Service in a grocery store, a midwest chain.  Corporate identifies the ads and sale prices.  But if barcodes don't match exactly, the sale price doesn't always ring in.  We have a whole team of people who have to update prices for sale prices and sometimes things get missed.

More often than not, the customer purchased the wrong brand or type, such as organic vs regular, or a specific type vs the sale type.  But we'll usually honor the sale prices if they have the receipt.

Be patient.  It's not the store's fault 99.9% of the time.  

Take your receipt to customer service and they'll gladly fix it for you.

I understand what your are saying, but that is not the customers fault, we should not have to police the grocery stores to make sure they are not cheating us.  I can only imagine the money the stores make on people who don't check their sales slip or the elderly who have their own set of problems let alone going over sales transactions. I would say 3 out of 5 shopping trips I make to the supermarket will result in a pricing error on their part.When the chains start going over their customer transactions and notify us that they owe me money I'll think differently.

Trusted Contributor

I used to work at Fred Meyer in 89-90 and they would often raise prices on produce & seafood for weekends then lower them back on Monday. They changed signs, but have made mistakes that I missed myself. I don't know if they still do this, but I skip shopping for groceries on weekends.

Honored Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

My late grandfather could keep up w/the cashier and would tell her immediately if he discovered a problem ... and he was usually right.

i generally still do this, especially if i have one of my daughters helping me with the grocery shopping. if it rings up wrong or NOT on sale, i am quick to point it out to the cashier, who can usually take care of it immediately. if i DONT catch it, then i do make a point to call right when i get home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I was just overcharged last week. They had round roasts bogo and london broil bogo.

I bought 2 of each. The roasts were $22 a piece and the london broils were $9 a piece. Insead of taking off one of each as free, they took off both london broil because they were cheaper. my argument was, if I would have only bought 2 roasts OR 2 LB in one transaction, it would have rang up correctly.

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

I was just overcharged last week. They had round roasts bogo and london broil bogo.

I bought 2 of each. The roasts were $22 a piece and the london broils were $9 a piece. Insead of taking off one of each as free, they took off both london broil because they were cheaper. my argument was, if I would have only bought 2 roasts OR 2 LB in one transaction, it would have rang up correctly.

That's annoying, @nun ya.  Did you talk to the manager?

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

I would have assumed what you had...since they were two different items.

I'm sure many people had done the same thing and not even noticed. I guess they count on that.

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I ask for a copy of my reciept before I pay, they don't like it but I don't care, I find mistakes quite frequently especially with younger cashiers.

You wouldn't be able to get a receipt before paying anywhere I worked....receipt didnt print til card or $ went in.  No pay,no receipt.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

You wouldn't be able to get a receipt before paying anywhere I worked....receipt didnt print til card or $ went in.  No pay,no receipt.

I don't know how far back that was, but now most stores I shop and work at can print out a sale before a tender is processed.  You can also view it on small terminal that it used for payments.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

That's annoying, @nun ya.  Did you talk to the manager?

Yes, they gave me back the difference. I shop there often. I never noticed before, I'm sure I have paid the wrong price a few times.

Honored Contributor

Last week I was in Stop and Shop and the packages of Cous Cous were marked 4/5.00, I put 4 boxes in my cart, well wouldn't you know at the self check out, 2 rang up for 1.25 and the other two rang up for 1.79. I called the manager over and apparenlty not all "types"were on sale, that is pure bs to me, I think the register was not programed correctly

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.