Trusted Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

@PilatesLover 

I tried Costco this morning during the senior hour:

8-9 AM.

It was a good shopping experience.  Everything on my

list was there.  The warehouse was not crowded; distancing was followed by everyone.

Previously, I had used insta-cart with success on most items, but a friend told me she had found the senior hour

more successful.

In our area, it happens on Tues, Wed and Thurs.

Respected Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

@PilatesLover 

I tried Costco this morning during the senior hour:

8-9 AM.

It was a good shopping experience.  Everything on my

list was there.  The warehouse was not crowded; distancing was followed by everyone.

Previously, I had used insta-cart with success on most items, but a friend told me she had found the senior hour

more successful.

In our area, it happens on Tues, Wed and Thurs.

@Susan in California I'm in CA also and find that going to either Trader Joe's or Costco late afternoon around 5 to 6 there is a small line if any and I'm in and out very quickly.

Honored Contributor

OP and the rest of us can thank hoarders for the shortages.  Manufacturers can't keep up so stores don't have products.  In addition, many products aren't being produced right now because businesses are closed, are short employees, or can't afford to pay employees.

Make your own cleaning sanitizer.... 1.5 capful bleach and 5 cups water.  Soap and water is best for hands.  

Trusted Contributor

I trusted my instincts yesterday and went to BJs. Sure enough, laundry products and dish products are the new toilet paper.  The shelves were just about stripped.  I managed to get a large bottle of Tide Purclean and a gigantic Dawn - I had to ask a man to get it down from the top shelf for me.  

This is craziness!!!!!!!!!  What will be the next phase of Hoarder Mania??

All the workers there looked careworn - I felt so bad for them.  I wouldn't even have gone there,but the small containers of both items I have at home are very low. I thought they would just be avaialable for my regular grocery order. This is madness.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that the reason a lot of things are missing from shelves (or one of the reasons) is that people post on social media, including here, what "they've heard" is the next thing to be gone, so the people who read these posts think they better go get some. I know I've thought this myself.

Honored Contributor

I had to go to the bank this morning and I also stopped at Publix to get some chicken tenders for lunch so I also got the things I'd put on my list since my Instacart delivery early this week. 

They had tons of eggs. Those used to be a shortage item, but they aren't now. The butter area was a little depleted but you could still get things. I bought some crescent rolls. 

The cracker aisle was fully stocked.  Bottled water also looked good. 

The I went down the paper products aisle. No toilet paper at all and they had a very small supply of Brawny and Sparkle paper towels. 

They had some Kleenex brand tissues and store brand also,  but when I got to aluminum foil, they had heavy duty only, no regular aluminum foil. 

Next was the detergent and cleaners aisle. This time they DID have Cascade and Finish, but it was a "lowish " supply but you could definitely get some. 

I use liquid Tide Free and Gentle and I like the small bottle, 32 loads. They were sold out of that so I got All Fragrance Free liquid, 24 loads. I bought 2 bottles of that. There seems to be something to that laundry/dishwasher detergent shortage that we've mentioned. Or maybe not actual shortage but people must be a little skittish and that's depleting the supplies some. Who knows. I am now fully stocked on paper products, laundry and dishwasher detergent for quite awhile. I have enough to share with family and friends. 

Produce was fully stocked.  I didn't need bread so I didn't look at it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I went food shopping this morning. The store opens at 8:00, I got there about 7:40, there was a long line. It was raining and cold, it wasn't great standing outside for 20 minutes. The customers up front must have gotten there about 7:00. I found pasta on the shelves for the first time in weeks. The toilet paper and paper towels are still nonexistent, have been for 7 weeks. They did have some brand x single rolls of toilet paper ( I didn't buy, I don't know if it was 1 ply or 2 ply). There was a limit of 2 rolls per customer. How long are 2 rolls going to last you, especially if you have a family? I wonder when we'll get back to normalcy at the supermarket?

Honored Contributor

I went to Market Basket this morning.  It's not one of my usual stores, but I had a long list and thought a big store would work best.  

My hunch was right.  I stocked up on fresh meat, seafood, and produce, tortillas and bakery items, and a few frozen items.  I didn't need paper or cleaning products, so didn't go down those aisles. 

everyone had masks on, the carts were being wiped down, checkout was directed by an employee who made sure we weren't standing around next to each other.  

It was a good experience.  My cashier was cheery and energetic. It was early in the day, maybe it gets tougher on them, as the day goes on!

Honored Contributor

For fresh veggies and meat etc, this is a great time to try those recipe box services if you can afford them. Everyplate is quite affordable to many. $5 per serving, 2 servings minimum. Plus shipping.

Those services have compelely different suppliers than grocery stores so they are able to get good ingredients. If you know your dinner and possibly lunch are handled by the boxes, you can go a lot longer between grocery shops for fresh ingredients.

We use Hello Fresh and Everyplate and are extra happy with them right now. We are eating better than restaurant food every night. With the occasional take out or pizza.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
It’s been my experience recently that there is a lot of food but you have to be flexible on what brand you will buy. For example if you’re specifically looking for a certain brand of gluten-free, you might not find it.

Still hard to find: cleaning supplies, paper towels, pasta, rice. Plenty of meat, produce, frozen, bread, bakery, junk food, booze.

I find it interesting to see what's consistently unavailable in the supermarkets, too.

I've noticed that people are buying pasta and rice and beans and canned pasta brands. 

I have been having difficulty finding white rice, especially the instant kind. 

I was talking to one of my cousins, and she was telling me that where she lives in a different state than me, she was having consistent difficulty finding a type of dry noodle that she likes to cook with, plus a type of salt that she also likes to use when cooking. 

Here where I live, it's not so much of a problem with the noodles as it was at first.