Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have Type 1 diabetes so I need to eat a very specific diet. If I don't,  I have to double the amount of insulin I need. I eat no grains so bread and pasta are out. Finding good fresh produce is hard. I ordered from Amazon Whole Foods only to receive moldy lettuce priced at $14.99 a pound. Most of the vegetables were past their prime. Premium prices for less than stellar food. 

My husband does the shopping but only at a specialty grocery store because they charge more and fewer people shop there. I was able to get Bell and Evan's chicken and fresh squash but the fish was from China and scallops were $29.00 a pound. He did find a limited amount of rolls for his lunch. 

Shopping has become very stressful and our food bills have gone up exponentially.

@Trinity11, are able to get delivery where you can add notes and substitutes and be in contact with shopper while he or she is in the store? We've found that that has been relatively successful. We have learned to rely more on prepackaged veggies in some cases because the shopper is in a hurry and might not check for quality (e.g.,rotten fresh snow peas.)

Of course someone with health problems like yours is in a more difficult position, but overall, yes, we can't we can't be as picky as usual.

@suzyQ3 , when I have a time frame, I stay glued to the computer to help the shopper with substitutes. In the beginning I had few problems but recently we received warm food that should have been refrigerated. The selection of vegetables, even frozen, are few and far between. Then last week the order arrived smelling of cigarette smoke. It was pretty awful. Instacart isn't available here. I try daily and there are no delivery dates, even in the future. So, my husband has to start going to the supermarket more.

It was good reading your daughter and family are doing better. What a worry that had to be for you and your husband..

Honored Contributor

I went grocery shopping on Tuesday ... was able to get everything on my list. 

(I printed out a bunch of recipes from All Recipes ... put all the ingredients on the list and went shopping - enough for about two weeks!)

We have smaller chain supermarkets every few blocks - not regional shopping destinations.   I haven't had any issues with empty shelves.

The only place with an "only two per customer" signs was Walgreen's - but the shelves were being stocked.  

Respected Contributor

I’ve been experiencing the opposite. My regular market has been in better shape each week. The only item I’ve been unsuccessful with has been a tub of whipped butter. There has been butter quarters pretty consistently though.

Last week Kroger clicklist was 10 days out. This morning there were spots available on Monday.
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Publix, in my area (metro Atlanta) has been really well stocked for the last 4 weeks or so. Paper products are still pretty much non existent unless you are there as they stock the shelves, but I have had a really high success rate with the things on my list. 

one thing I DID notice, the last time I went in person which was last Sunday. I didn't need anything in that aisle but quickly looked at the laundry detergent And dishwasher detergent. They were totally out of Cascade and had very few packs of Finish. They had laundry detergent but it looked "lowish",  but an employee was coming down the aisle to restock. 

I looked intentionally because someone here had mentioned a few weeks ago that dishwasher detergent (and maybe laundry detergent also) is supposed to be the next shortage item. Based on that I bought some Cascade for a Target pickup a few weeks ago and yesterday ordered a large thing of Cascade for Costco delivery as Target online was showing the Cascade I wanted out of stock. My Costco delivery is showing 14 business days to arrive. Which is fine with me. 

@gidgetgh 

Experienced a low supply of the two items you mentioned!

I got my Instacart grocery delivery here from local grocery chain here in Texas on Wednesday morning.....the two items that I had to have replacements on were---Cascade & Tide laundry detergent.... I accepted the huge container of Cascade and a large container of Tide laundry soap different scent as replacements....and greatful to get those and I got everything else on my list....Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Will have to find takers for what I received.

Insta cart credited me the difference of $67.14.  

Hope I get a shopper who can read this time.

Back to square 1.

@Lucky Charm 

I always have EXCELLENT service with Instacart...my shoppers are attentive and pay attention to the replacements Ive given them, and the little extra notes I add about my purchases!!!  And even ask if I want to add anything else to my order too.....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Back to square 1.

Wow - what a nasty thing to say. Mistakes happen and the company compensated you.  This person is out there so you can stay safe at home, give them a break.

Nope, not taking it back.

They brought the refridgerated food warm. 

Didn't have mask or gloves on. 

Pulled things loose from the trunk of their car.  

Unacceptable.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Back to square 1.

Wow - what a nasty thing to say. Mistakes happen and the company compensated you.  This person is out there so you can stay safe at home, give them a break.

Nope, not taking it back.

They brought the refridgerated food warm. 

Didn't have mask or gloves on. 

Pulled things loose from the trunk of their car.  

Unacceptable.

Then perhaps you should go out and do your own shopping.  Then you will get what you want.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I needed to brave the stores to purchase food yesterday.  I started with Costco because they're usually pretty well stocked.

I ended up turning my carriage around and walking out!  I drove to our regular town supermarket and the shelves were alarmingly bare.  The items on my list that were non-existent included:

• Gluten free frozen bread (Udi's, Glutino, etc.)
  • Annie's gluten free mac and cheese
  • Mission tortilla wraps - or any tortilla wrap for that matter
  • Hunt's tomato products except for paste
  • Pretty much all canned tomato products except for fire roasted flavor
  • Gluten free pasta 
  • Shredded cheese - all brands wiped out except for two giant sized store brand bags
  • Salsa - all brands, wiped out
  • Plain yogurt, any brand, in fact most flavored yogurts gone
  • Bananas
  • Potatoes that weren't half rotten and mangled
  • Dishwashing liquid - only a few bottles of store brand

Many shortages in health and beauty, very little butter (none unsalted), very little margarine and my Brummel & Brown gone, etc., etc., etc.  And of course no paper products or sanitizing products at all - not even bleach.

There is another discussion about meat processing plants, but now it seems everything is running out.  It is scary out there. Smiley Sad

@PilatesLover   I'm sure they will stock the shelves when the merchandise become available to them.. There's nothing we as individuals can do about it I wouldn't think...

This post will probably be deleted.   Since yesterday, every thing I have posted has been deleted and I don't know why.

Regular Contributor

I thought that since the majority of people got their stimulus check last week, that they restocked their food supply. That would explain why shelves were so bare.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a period of adjustment.  People may need to change their eating habits or their favorite brands.

I go to the store once a week.  (There's no delivery and no pick up within a reasonable distance.)  I've found everything I wanted or a reasonable substitute.  I buy half + half...regular or low fat, whatever is there.  I wanted juice.  No V8 low sodium so I got orange juice and a rain check for the V8..  No chicken tenders one week but got them the following week.  Not the rye bread I like, so I got a different bread instead.

If some people get their wish, this will be life for the rest of the year and longer.

eta...The store I shop is the only one available to me, again, within a reasonable distance.  Walmart is 30 minutes away.  And I wouldn't go there today even if it was closer.

Keepin' it real.