Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

The store where I shop closes at 9PM (used to be open 24 hrs.) to clean, sanitize and restock. They reopen at 7AM. I'm there at 6:45.  The line begins to form and only a certain number are allowed in at a time. Most of the time I can find what I need or make substitutions or just come back another day. The last time I went there was a limit of 4 pkgs. of ground beef to prevent hoarding. Most likely chicken is next. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Will have to find takers for what I received.

Insta cart credited me the difference of $67.14.  

Hope I get a shopper who can read this time.

Back to square 1.

Wow - what a nasty thing to say. Mistakes happen and the company compensated you.  This person is out there so you can stay safe at home, give them a break.

I am really saddened to see how this has brought out the elitist in so many.  While some can't afford food at all - others sneer at the "non-organic" - not to mention at the "illiterate" person who - again according to these same people - is risking his life - to make hers more pleasant.

Respected Contributor

I've enountered shortages, but nothing I couldn't work around.  Still no tp in the store (I'm not worried about that--I bought some at Costco a year ago and still have a dozen rolls).

I couldn't find peroxide at Publix, but they took my name and they had a bottle for me next time I was in. (Needed it for a skin problem.)

I've had the same problem as the OP with unsalted butter, though!  Eggs were scarce for a while. I don't need to eat meat though I do sometimes--that is off and on in my store.  It's nothing like a FL hurricane, though--when there is _nothing_ in the store for a week or two. 

Trusted Contributor

If you absolutely can't or won't be flexible, it's probably best to do your own shopping. 

These shoppers are not well paid, they're risking their own safety, to be out there.  

If it's physically impossible for you to do your own shopping, is there a reason you can't accept non organic, right now? 

The shopping services, have been such a huge help to many people, but it's common to need to accept alternates and substitutes, or do without.  

Honored Contributor

I shop in Nassau County in New York. I haven't seen toilet paper, paper towels in 6 or more weeks, frozen vegetables are extremely hard to come by, as well as beans, pasta, soups. I get so frustrated, I wait in line to gain entrance to the store, and don't get so much of what I want, I then have to stand on a long line to check out. It doesn't even matter which supermarket chain I go to, it's the same all over.

Respected Contributor

I went to the grocery store Tuesday morning during senior hour.  I had no wait and was pleasantly surprised they had TP, tissues, paper towels, wipes and napkins.  There were several brands in several different sizes.  Of course you were limited to one of each. 

Produce and meats were stocked.  The frozen foods were  about half full.

Check was a breeze but if you bring your own bags, you do your own bagging.

All workers had masks and gloves and shoppers needed a mask to enter.

Super Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I shop in Nassau County in New York. I haven't seen toilet paper, paper towels in 6 or more weeks, frozen vegetables are extremely hard to come by, as well as beans, pasta, soups. I get so frustrated, I wait in line to gain entrance to the store, and don't get so much of what I want, I then have to stand on a long line to check out. It doesn't even matter which supermarket chain I go to, it's the same all over.

@Jordan2 do you have a North Shore Farms near you?  I was there 2 weeks ago (at the one in North Bellmore), and had no issue finding everything I needed, including fresh produce, dry beans, half and half, butter, eggs, cheese. I also went to Stew Leonard's in East Meadow a few weeks prior to that and found plenty of items available. I also read that the best time to shop is later afternoon and evening - many of the stores are restocking later in the afternoon.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I have Type 1 diabetes so I need to eat a very specific diet. If I don't,  I have to double the amount of insulin I need. I eat no grains so bread and pasta are out. Finding good fresh produce is hard. I ordered from Amazon Whole Foods only to receive moldy lettuce priced at $14.99 a pound. Most of the vegetables were past their prime. Premium prices for less than stellar food. 

My husband does the shopping but only at a specialty grocery store because they charge more and fewer people shop there. I was able to get Bell and Evan's chicken and fresh squash but the fish was from China and scallops were $29.00 a pound. He did find a limited amount of rolls for his lunch. 

Shopping has become very stressful and our food bills have gone up exponentially.

@Trinity11, are able to get delivery where you can add notes and substitutes and be in contact with shopper while he or she is in the store? We've found that that has been relatively successful. We have learned to rely more on prepackaged veggies in some cases because the shopper is in a hurry and might not check for quality (e.g.,rotten fresh snow peas.)

Of course someone with health problems like yours is in a more difficult position, but overall, yes, we can't we can't be as picky as usual.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have been using Instacart at Costco and a higher end local chain.  I am having no problem with orders.  Since this started the only item I have not received is a dozen eggs one week but I did get them the next week.  Sometimes there is a problem getting a delivery date but I have learned you just need to think ahead.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have been using Instacart at Costco and a higher end local chain.  I am having no problem with orders.  Since this started the only item I have not received is a dozen eggs one week but I did get them the next week.  Sometimes there is a problem getting a delivery date but I have learned you just need to think ahead.

@DiAnne, exactly. This whole shopping thing is almost a full-time job. As soon as I receive a delivery, or even before, I start my next list. And then I stalk for the right date and preferable time slot.

We didn't get eggs last week, so they will hopefully show up in today's delivery (btw, Darryl has started shopping for us :-))

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland