Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Will have to find takers for what I received.

Insta cart credited me the difference of $67.14.  

Hope I get a shopper who can read this time.

Back to square 1.

Wow - what a nasty thing to say. Mistakes happen and the company compensated you.  This person is out there so you can stay safe at home, give them a break.

Nope, not taking it back.

They brought the refridgerated food warm. 

Didn't have mask or gloves on. 

Pulled things loose from the trunk of their car.  

Unacceptable.

@Lucky Charm  I definitely would not use Instacart again.

Frequent Contributor

I live in an Urban town, and i noticed that the 'expensive or healthy items" are not being restocked. SHoprite, I think they are being cheap. How odo I know this? because the other day, i was passing by a Shoprite in a richer neighborhood, and everything was stocked, including my favorite bread and Chobani creamer. 

SO I have a theory that some stores are using the pandemic to stock with inferior cheaper items. 

I did go to an Aldi, a half hour after they opened and was able to find toilet paper!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Publix, in my area (metro Atlanta) has been really well stocked for the last 4 weeks or so. Paper products are still pretty much non existent unless you are there as they stock the shelves, but I have had a really high success rate with the things on my list. 

one thing I DID notice, the last time I went in person which was last Sunday. I didn't need anything in that aisle but quickly looked at the laundry detergent And dishwasher detergent. They were totally out of Cascade and had very few packs of Finish. They had laundry detergent but it looked "lowish",  but an employee was coming down the aisle to restock. 

I looked intentionally because someone here had mentioned a few weeks ago that dishwasher detergent (and maybe laundry detergent also) is supposed to be the next shortage item. Based on that I bought some Cascade for a Target pickup a few weeks ago and yesterday ordered a large thing of Cascade for Costco delivery as Target online was showing the Cascade I wanted out of stock. My Costco delivery is showing 14 business days to arrive. Which is fine with me. 

@gidgetgh 

Experienced a low supply of the two items you mentioned!

I got my Instacart grocery delivery here from local grocery chain here in Texas on Wednesday morning.....the two items that I had to have replacements on were---Cascade & Tide laundry detergent.... I accepted the huge container of Cascade and a large container of Tide laundry soap different scent as replacements....and greatful to get those and I got everything else on my list....Woman Very Happy

@Spurt - yeah, something is going on with laundry and dishwasher detergent. So, before it reaches "search everywhere for the elusive toilet paper" status, I bought quite a bit of Cascade Platinum and I always keep a really good supply of All Pac's  and Liquid Tide, Free and Gentle. I will be able to share Cascade with neighbors and my sister if I need to. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I shop every 10 days. I make menus and buy what I need for those menus only. I don't touch what I have in the freezers and won't until closer to their expiration dates. So far, no issue in finding what I need for the meals.

I have planned my Spring garden and will plant almost all the vegis I use on a daily basis. My MIL cans; jelly, sauces, pickles, vegis, you name it, she cans it. I've been buying up supplies and notice they are getting harder and harder to find. My goal is to put up and have my own "canned" goods to avoid whatever is going to hit us this fall.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I have been using Instacart at Costco and a higher end local chain.  I am having no problem with orders.  Since this started the only item I have not received is a dozen eggs one week but I did get them the next week.  Sometimes there is a problem getting a delivery date but I have learned you just need to think ahead.

@DiAnne, exactly. This whole shopping thing is almost a full-time job. As soon as I receive a delivery, or even before, I start my next list. And then I stalk for the right date and preferable time slot.

We didn't get eggs last week, so they will hopefully show up in today's delivery (btw, Darryl has started shopping for us :-))

Yay for Darryl He came through with eggs! The only thing we didn't get at all was fresh garlic. Other than that, there were some satifactory substutites.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

This is a period of adjustment.  People may need to change their eating habits or their favorite brands.

I go to the store once a week.  (There's no delivery and no pick up within a reasonable distance.)  I've found everything I wanted or a reasonable substitute.  I buy half + half...regular or low fat, whatever is there.  I wanted juice.  No V8 low sodium so I got orange juice and a rain check for the V8..  No chicken tenders one week but got them the following week.  Not the rye bread I like, so I got a different bread instead.

If some people get their wish, this will be life for the rest of the year and longer.

eta...The store I shop is the only one available to me, again, within a reasonable distance.  Walmart is 30 minutes away.  And I wouldn't go there today even if it was closer.

Of course, that's what we're all "wishing" for. [eyeroll]

(BTW, I very much agreed with your earlier paragraph about making the best of what is available.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have only been to the grocery store twice in 5 weeks.  Last time it was better stocked.  Ground meat still one per customer.  TP still scarce but got a 12 pack two weeks ago.  White cloud, which I have not seen in years. Can’t be brand choosy at this point.  I do think many shopped again since getting stimulus deposits last week.  It was quite scary mid March major huge giant supermarket chain was bare (truly never saw anything like it that day, it was Friday the 13th, too). Many unemployed have still yet to see a check in PA.  

Respected Contributor

Visited Sam s Club today.  Disappointed.  Late February they were starting to reorganize store. Beer moved from middle of store by wine to back rear by bakery.  Needless to say I was in a new world today and really had to read shelf tags, etc.   Many empty slelves: pasta, tomatoes in cans, TP, 2% milk, to name few.  Of course no wipes, disinfectants, etc.  Very little meat in meat department.  I had better luck at grocery. I noticed tire department closed which surprised me since so many people purchase and service there.

Honored Contributor

My weekly trip to the store today was a BIG surprise...the shelves in both WM and Publix were stocked, including the meat case.

I vowed to NOT buy anything I won't use in the next week. 

I went about 10:30 am and was in and out w/in 1/2 hour.  I was surprised the parking lots were empty - so not to many people in the stores.

Of course, it depends in the area you live.  We have not been impacted by any real shortages like other areas.  Yes, we had a week or so when meats, milk, bread were scarce YET nothing like I've read on these boards.

The other store I went for the first time was the new ALDI don't think I'll be back there -- really wasn't anything I would buy.

Valued Contributor

Today and yesterday both my husband or I were at grocery stores and each one was pretty well stocked. Yes there were some things that were not full but even at Aldi this afternoon there were paper products--tp, paper towels, etc.

I live in a suburb of a rather large city.