Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

Our local super market has steadily improved from the first days of various temporary shortages in things like whole chickens, bread, milk and toilet paper.  Now, almost everything is pretty much available.  We might have to switch brands, but that's hardly a hardship, considering what could be happening.  If things dip again, we'll do like we did last time, 'scavenge' at other stores, or do without or find substitutes.  Very appreciative that the food chain workers are keeping up their tremendous efforts to keep us going.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday we went to Sam's Club and I can not believe how fast the store was able to fill the shelves, even with hoarded items. They literally had built walls at the back of the store with toilet paper and paper towels. And I noticed that not only did they have several different types and brands of dish detergent but they also were carrying Anti-Bacteria Dawn. I never noticed that before.

Last time we were there, they had limited everyone to one package of many of the items. Yesterday there were no signs limiting the number of items that you could buy. 

And that is another reason I like Sam's. The produce is always fresh and they have such a nice variety. And there was a nice selection of breads and bakery items.

Respected Contributor

I had a lousy trip to the store today myself.  No beans/split p's, no cans of beans, no small bags of potatoes - just huge ones - no toilet paper, very little frozen vegetables, no rice except for flavored ones.  Then to top it all off the checker rang me up for items I didn't even buy, such as some mangoes and an extra bag of organic apples, so that was an extra $7.50 + tax.  So I was aggravated.  I'm just one person so I don't need much and I asked the checker about the toilet paper and she told me you have to come at 7AM on either a Tues or a Thurs as it sells out right away.  She said they limit the # to 2 for purchase and it still sells out.

I was esp. disappointed in not getting any beans because I enjoy them and they are my main food source to fill me up.  And then I had to trudge back into the store to collect the $$ they overcharged me after I looked at my receipt.  I was happy to get home.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I wonder if the beans, rice, potatoes are in short supply because that's all many people can afford at this time.

Honored Contributor

I am in WV, and shopped at IGA today; last trip was on 3/30.

The doors are marked clearly as to the enter side and exit side, you are given a number as they keep count of people in the store, and directional arrows clearly mark the aisles. Eggs and dog food were low, no cream soups, no bleach, or Clorox wipes. Everything else was plentiful, even toilet paper, with higher prices than last month.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I wonder if the beans, rice, potatoes are in short supply because that's all many people can afford at this time.

@Isobel Archer, I think that it's more the idea of buying items that are not very perishable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Just before the sky fell upon us, I had done what for me amounted to major shopping because company was coming.  Perfect timing because now I've been able to find everything I really need except bleach -  that I haven't seen anywhere.   I do have plenty of wipes though.

Glad not to need paper goods -  those shelves are eerily empty still.

Honored Contributor

I was in Foodtown today, they had Bounty paper towels a two roll pack for $7.99! I guess if your desperate you would pay $4 per roll. Has anyone noticed Charmin and Angel Soft have commercials that they are working around the clock to bring us toilet paper because you shouldn't have to worry about toilet paper?

Super Contributor

I was doing some research on Agirculture websites and its my understanding there  was a reduction in the bean crop last year due to weather. Potatoes and wheat could also see shortages. Russia has slowing dowm wheat exports and India is slowing down rice exports according to what I have been reading. In the future I hope our country can grow to greater self sufficiency.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   Try Walmart for Gluten free bread.  Their whole grain is better than UDI's, Schars or any other popular brand IMO.  The White is not bad either.

It is usually on the shelf and not in the freezer.