Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

I have Type 1 diabetes so I need to eat a very specific diet. If I don't,  I have to double the amount of insulin I need. I eat no grains so bread and pasta are out. Finding good fresh produce is hard. I ordered from Amazon Whole Foods only to receive moldy lettuce priced at $14.99 a pound. Most of the vegetables were past their prime. Premium prices for less than stellar food. 

My husband does the shopping but only at a specialty grocery store because they charge more and fewer people shop there. I was able to get Bell and Evan's chicken and fresh squash but the fish was from China and scallops were $29.00 a pound. He did find a limited amount of rolls for his lunch. 

Shopping has become very stressful and our food bills have gone up exponentially.

Honored Contributor

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Will have to find takers for what I received.

Insta cart credited me the difference of $67.14.  

Hope I get a shopper who can read this time.

Back to square 1.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's disheartening because it's so inconsistent, by day, time, store location and geographic region and it's been going on for so long. Moreover, seemingly no one is taking any initiative to coordinate supply and distribution, so that areas 'without' don't stay 'without' for the duration. In my area, pick up and delivery services have also become more or less unreliable. We're told to stay in as much as possible, but we have to drive all over creation to find food and essentials and other than scheduling a pick up or delivery for at least two to three weeks out, forget about it. Something's got to give...

Might try some of the smaller independent grocery stores they don't always get the foot traffic the large chain stores might have. 

As someone else said, you do have to be flexible.  Specific brands, sizes, products are not always available.  Almost like a treasure hunt each week.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just did my 5th or 6th instacart.   Everything I ordered was there, except my shopper didnt' pay attention to my request for organic. 

Will have to find takers for what I received.

Insta cart credited me the difference of $67.14.  

Hope I get a shopper who can read this time.

Back to square 1.

Wow - what a nasty thing to say. Mistakes happen and the company compensated you.  This person is out there so you can stay safe at home, give them a break.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I've been very lucky to find good produce, vegetables, chicken and fish.  I am so glad I stocked up on cleaning supplies right before this all started. 

I am starting to run low on laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. 

I think supplies have caught up with demand in my area.  Stores seem better stocked and people aren't panic buying. 

Valued Contributor

I believe the shutdown is going to negatively affect the selection and the price of food.

I have read news stories about dairy farmers dumping milk, potato farmers giving away their potatoes, and meat packing plants that have been contaminated by Covid.

I know that interrupted distribution lines affected the potato farmers.  They gave the potatoes away to the surrounding communities rather than let them rot.

Semi trucks, airplanes, and even trains are sitting idle.

Honored Contributor

it really depends on the day and the time of day you go...

some days are delivery days... so the shelves are not yet stocked... and it you go early in the day say to the senior time slot... you will find things not stocked yet often times.

I go about noon-ish and on a Wednesday or Thursday... everything is very well stocked everywhere I go so far. I go usually once every two weeks... occasionally one a week if I run out of something I really need or want.

Respected Contributor

Shelves are being stocked, people are buying. Publix delivered more than 20,000 truckloads of product in 11 days, a significant increase from the normal volume. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting that in some areas it’s difficult to find fresh produce. That’s one thing that has never been in short supply in Southern California from the very beginning, except bananas and potatoes when schools first closed. 😂 They are plentiful now, though.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm absolutely willing to get alternative products, unfortunately even substitutes are out of stock.  And I have to eat gluten free, that's not a choice.  I referenced Glutino because prior to this it was most available and most reasonably priced, but now there is no GF bread, not even expensive.

There are a lot of good answers and opinions here. I expected a snark or two, but thank you to those who offered a constructive discussion.  From reading through, I'm starting to think it could be the region I live in.

Yikes I better get laundry soap and dishwashing liquid!

I really do appreciate all the front line and behind the scenes workers who are going their best and include them in my daily prayers concerning these scary times.