Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery shelves not being restocked

I shop at Kroger and Publix in my area. Both have been stocked.  Plenty of meat to choose from, fresh fruit and veggies.  Kroger even had a bunch of toilet paper, paper towels and tissues the other day.  I wasn pleasantly surprised.  Still hard to find clorox wipes.  I haven't even tried to go to Costco.  If your store has senior hours (like ours does), try to go right after that ends.  I find that they really try to stock for the seniors.  I'm sorry it's been difficult for you.  I hope it gets better soon.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been submitting my grocery orders online and picking them up (Kroger in Dallas).  As usual, there were several items not available when I picked up on Monday.  Thinking it might be due to weekend shoppers, I immediately submitted another order for just those items and picked up yesterday (Wednesday).  Everything was available, including my fav Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat bread.  Fiist time this has happened to me since early March, so I am encouraged.  Heart

Honored Contributor

We've found that you need to be at the stores when they open.

We've been able to find almost all of what we have needed at either Aldi or Lidl if we go early.

Honored Contributor

Our store hasnt restocked very much! Smiley Sad  It is scary. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

OMG - I guess the "essential" workers are doing their duty to keep up with the demands of those at home.  The outrage.

I also hear the lines are getting much longer at food pantries - but that of course is a different issue - not to be concerned about for most.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Publix, in my area (metro Atlanta) has been really well stocked for the last 4 weeks or so. Paper products are still pretty much non existent unless you are there as they stock the shelves, but I have had a really high success rate with the things on my list. 

one thing I DID notice, the last time I went in person which was last Sunday. I didn't need anything in that aisle but quickly looked at the laundry detergent And dishwasher detergent. They were totally out of Cascade and had very few packs of Finish. They had laundry detergent but it looked "lowish",  but an employee was coming down the aisle to restock. 

I looked intentionally because someone here had mentioned a few weeks ago that dishwasher detergent (and maybe laundry detergent also) is supposed to be the next shortage item. Based on that I bought some Cascade for a Target pickup a few weeks ago and yesterday ordered a large thing of Cascade for Costco delivery as Target online was showing the Cascade I wanted out of stock. My Costco delivery is showing 14 business days to arrive. Which is fine with me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

There are definitely shortages in my area but they always vary.  The first couple of weeks I couldn't find TP, milk, eggs, bread, frozen foods, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent.  

Things got slightly better in some areas but now there are other things that aren't available.  Cleaning products are trickling in as are frozen foods but now we are back to very little milk, very little orange juice, meat departments 3/4 empty.  The TP is also coming in but the prices are crazy high at my local grocery store.  My local Walmart still has nothing in the paper goods aisle and they had very little milk as well.

Super Contributor

well, if people and companies are not allowed to wrok, what is the surprise?

Honored Contributor

Cascade dishwasher cleaner (or any brand) is not available here right now. 

Bleach is not available either. 

TP and paper towels are available, but very limited. If you find it, the stores are limiting one package. 

Meat is plentiful, along with produce.

Respected Contributor

@alice87 wrote:

well, if people and companies are not allowed to wrok, what is the surprise?

Oh - but that's the irony of this whole argument don't you see.

The people at home drawing salaries and castigating everyone who even suggests going back to work - if they are out of money -  they should have planned better, they should buy less etc. etc. - THESE people need food and SOMEONE must provide it.  Therefore the food store and delivery workers are ESSENTIAL