Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Nightowlz Self checkout really is the way to go now, if available. It isn't where I shop. 

I agree, I think they should open up most lanes as self checkout, mine only has maybe 2 or 3...self checkout makes a lot of sense.  Of course then I worry I'd be putting people out of work😜

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

They've told us how long the virus can live on surfaces and to leave our boxed deliveries outside yet they say mail and food and its packaging is OK to handle.   I realize the chances for contamination may be small but please don't give me conflicting data.

I am not concerned about the employees of the store, but the customers.  Who knows if a shopper has the virus, who could have coughed or sneezed into their bare hand while shopping then picks up a piece of fruit/vegetable and put it back down; or picks up a package to read the inform and puts it down.

Well, I actually saw a woman do this about 3 weeks ago at my store...she was coughing into her bare hands, I was mortified....

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Our routine is fairly low-level. We are using contact-less delivery now. So far, it's been pretty much fine.

One of us (him) brings the bags in and dumps the contents on a counter we have sprayed. Then takes the bags to the trash in our garage and washes his hands. He and I put the items away and then wash our hands again and spray the counter.

We are not disinfecting each item.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@SuhseK 

The key words to pay attention to in the FDA announcement are: “currently no evidence.” That is code for “we have no clue if it can be transmitted this way or not...” 

BINGO!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I am having my groceries delivered to my front porch.  I put gloves on my hands to bring them in and put them away.  Then I wipe the counter, take the gloves off and wash my hands.  That is it for me.  

Respected Contributor

I am just not that thorough.  I order groceries online...pick them up, unload on my counter.  Wipe off can tops with a paper towel and bleach water....that's it.  I don't do anything with boxed and bagged things like noodles.  I save the plastic bags to use as trash can  liners, as I always have done.

When I'm done I spray down the counter with bleach water, and wash my hands.

I bring in my mail, toss junk, and put anything I need to save into a basket on the counter.  Wash my hands when I'm done dealing with it,

I don't wipe off packages shipped to me...any package deliveries I let sit on the dining room floor (no garage) overnight before opening.  I then take the empty box and wrappings to the dumpster right away.  Wash my hands.   

I don't change my clothes after driving to the store or going for a walk in my neighborhood.  I wear a mask and wash my hands when I get home.  Right away wash my mask with soap and water in the bathroom sink.  Don't wear shoes inside.

Truthfully I don't sanitize the counter and door knobs daily.  Only if I have put "outside" stuff on the counter or taken stuff to the garbage dumpster.  I use soapy water to clean the counter most days.

So far I have stayed healthy.  I do live alone, so it's easier to stay on top of things.

Regular Contributor

I really am having a hard time trying to keep up with which agency is correct and which is not correct.  If we have nothing to worry about as far as the virus being on the groceries/bags why are we advised to keep cleaing door knobs, light switches, hand rails, ATM, our cell phones etc. etc.?  They are contradctory.  

Regular Contributor

I have been leaving everything in the trunk of my car for 24 hours (except for perishables).  When the next day comes I bring it all in and clean everything that I bought.  I then put it all away.  I am so tired of this.  I was advised to go the extra mile with cleaning by a doctor.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SuhseK 

The key words to pay attention to in the FDA announcement are: “currently no evidence.” That is code for “we have no clue if it can be transmitted this way or not...” 

BINGO!!

@willdob3  I think what they saying is better safe than sorry. However, I don't do any of these things. Wash my hands only.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda 

That's why you use sanitizer when you get to the car and wash your hands when you get home and after you put your groceries away. 

Of course if you're more comfortable wiping your things down, go ahead.  Whatever makes you comfortable. 

I do both during the flu season, too.  Being careful only lessons the possibility of getting something.  Not a guarantee.