Honored Contributor

@SuhseK 

The key words to pay attention to in the FDA announcement are: “currently no evidence.” That is code for “we have no clue if it can be transmitted this way or not...” 

Respected Contributor

KEY words there are "CURRENTLY no evidence." 

QUESTION: If the FDA says there is NO reason to wipe down packaging, THEN WHY in the FDA PROVIDED TIPS DO THEY SAY..After thoroughly washing your hands when you get home TO WASH THEM AGAIN AFTER PUTTING THE GROCERIES AWAY???  If I don't have to wipe the packaging down why do I have to wipe ME down again??

Better to be safe than sorry. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been having Instacart deliver my groceries from Aldi's for many months. Once the coronavirus started scaring the h**l out of us, I gave special instructions online. I have them place my order in paper bags' ring my bell, and leave my stuff on the porch. I wear gloves while putting things away and afterwards wash my hands very thoroughly. So far it's worked well.

Respected Contributor

I wear gloves in the store.  I put the groceries in the back, open my door and take off the gloves and put them in a ziplock bag.  I use hand sanitozer right away before I touch anything, including my phone.  I take the groceries in, wipe them down with a chlorox wipe and then put them away. Sounds complicated but its not.  Then I wash my hands again.

Valued Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

I read the article in the OP yesterday.  Then later in the day I heard an “expert” (MD) on TV saying that we had to wipe down all groceries coming into the house.  I’m fed up with conflicting advice.  😕

I'm fed up with just about everything involved with this virus. In addition to conflicting information & advice, we've been hearing the "peak" is 2 weeks away for about a month now. We were also told there was going to be 10,000 deaths a day. I feel like I'm risking my life just going to the grocery store. 

Honored Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

I read the article in the OP yesterday.  Then later in the day I heard an “expert” (MD) on TV saying that we had to wipe down all groceries coming into the house.  I’m fed up with conflicting advice.  😕

I'm fed up with just about everything involved with this virus. In addition to conflicting information & advice, we've been hearing the "peak" is 2 weeks away for about a month now. We were also told there was going to be 10,000 deaths a day. I feel like I'm risking my life just going to the grocery store. 

@staciesmom 

The bottom line is that they do not know what to tell us because the virus is new. There are new educated guesses every day. 

Keep feeling like you you are risking your life when you venture out of your home. That is likely to serve you well and keep you from practicing potentially unhealthy behaviors until such time as we have true facts about this virus.

Is it a pain in the neck and extremely annoying? You bet it is. Consider the alternative being possible illness, possible death. We all have a choice regarding what level of precautions we choose to follow.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear a mask, gloves, use sanitizer. When home I wipe everything, sanitize car, leave clothes outside, shower & wash hair! Only been to the store twice and dread it!

Respected Contributor

@meem120do you put the gloves in a zip lock to throw away or save?  I don't have a large amount of latex type gloves so when I get home I grab the chlorox wipes and wipe down my gloves.  Then with my gloved hands I wipe down the inside door handles then the outside door handles then the storm door handles.  I come back inside and Wash the Gloves with soap and water  then remove them being careful to keep the inside in and put them aside for another use.  If soap and water is good enough to keep me safe I figure  chlorox AND soap and water would be OK for the gloves.  Hopefully I'm right.

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK I heard all this on the a.m. radio news today. I've also read that the virus does not live on packages that get delivered.

My Safeway is taking tons of precautions and my whole family uses no sew coverings at the store.

I've never shopped without a list!! and I get in and out as quickly as possible.

Thanks for posting this info for those who had not heard it.

Super Contributor

@candys mine  I am doing the same thing. My sister scored more gloves yesterday but I have been wiping down gloves and wiping down groceries. Then washing gloves with soap and water to let dry for another use. I have been adding alochol to my wipes because they are dwindling fast. So what do we use to wipe down groceries when the wipes are gone? Soap and water? I feel like I need to wipe everything down once I leave the house and enter a store. I am stir crazy but having to disinfect everything makes me consolidate all errands. Groceries and laundromat are only time I enter a building anymore other than my home.