Honored Contributor

What about the other people in the store touching the packages and then putting them back? I wipe down my groceries and anything that is delivered. There's no reason not to.

It is true that the virus isn't going to get into food. And it dies on most surfaces after a day or two because it needs a living host to thrive. But I wouldn't feel like it coudn't survive throughout the day if a shopper or worker got the virus on a can and then I picked that can up, or got it home and then touched that spot after I washed my hands.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I read the article in the OP yesterday.  Then later in the day I heard an “expert” (MD) on TV saying that we had to wipe down all groceries coming into the house.  I’m fed up with conflicting advice.  😕

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, not a believer.

Everything, without exception, lives in the garage for at least a week.  I have a refrigerator, freezers and shelves.  

Even my purse is no longer allowed in the house.

Everything on the other side of the door may be a hazard.

Honored Contributor

I think you have to use some of your own judgement. I know there are a lot of unknowns, but I can't keep up with the changes.  Wear masks, don't wear masks, etc.  I will wear masks, sanitize/wash hands and keep my distance.

Honored Contributor

The FDA gave this advice and then said, in conclusion, "Again, there is no evidence of food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19. However, if you wish, you can wipe down product packaging and allow it to air dry, as an extra precaution."

They covered all the bases.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

They're just now telling us this, after hearing all the scare stories?  For cryin' out loud, why wasn't this type of study carried out at the get-go?  Were others really that unreliable? We needed (early) accurate information regarding every source of potential contamination.  Argh! 

Okay, I'm just mad, since my grocery trip yesterday turned into a 4 hour project. First off, I was dodging all the folks not wearing masks while shopping, then loading, unloading, and finally wiping everything down at home. I was exhausted. Somebody's gotta pay Woman Frustrated.  

Super Contributor

Facts about COVID-19? It's fluid. No one knows much at this time about the virus.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

What about the other people in the store touching the packages and then putting them back? I wipe down my groceries and anything that is delivered. There's no reason not to.

It is true that the virus isn't going to get into food. And it dies on most surfaces after a day or two because it needs a living host to thrive. But I wouldn't feel like it coudn't survive throughout the day if a shopper or worker got the virus on a can and then I picked that can up, or got it home and then touched that spot after I washed my hands.

@Porcelain  this is what drives me crazy.  I've seen it a couple times.  Ladies touching every package trying to get to the one in the back.  You didn't need to touch 14 other packages. 

Super Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

So if the virus lives a certain number of hours on surfaces, the person bagging your groceries might be asymptomatic, handles the food and bags, you pick them up, someone explain how buyers will not pick it up on their hands?  

That applies to those stocking the shelves.  

I'm not buying it.  

Not to mention the unmasked walking around coughing...have witnessed this. And saw a video of a kid LICKING packs of toilet paper. (Thought he was being funny. Authorities found him and brought charges, but still.) My point both frightened me - I'm wiping everything down. Have an entire, tedious system assoicated with this.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain  this is what drives me crazy.  I've seen it a couple times.  Ladies touching every package trying to get to the one in the back.  You didn't need to touch 14 other packages. 

Me too! I normally like to look at ingredients when I shop and that involves picking up the package. But I would noooooooot do that nowadays. Don't people know they're increasing their risk the more stuff they touch? Geesh! Now it's almost like they're an annoying little brother licking all the cookies so you won't want any.

I think some go into a shopping trance and their autopilot mechanism kicks in and they do their usual in the store without thinking. Can't explain it otherwise.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr