Honored Contributor

I am using Instacart at Costco and a small local market.  I got deliveries from both today.  Trader Joe's is out of my mix right now because they have no delivery service.  I am spending more for the safety and convenience but I figure I am not going to exercise class, to the movies or plays, out to lunch or dinner with friends so it evens out but I do miss grocery shopping.  

Valued Contributor

Our prices have skyrocketed.  At the store yesterday a major food chain was charging $6.99 for a six pack of Coca Cola! !  It had been $4.49 and I didn't even purchase it then,only when they were on sale. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

We're spending more on groceries, for sure. And more on restaurant takeout (we want to support our favorite places).

But I'm spending a lot less on clothing, movies, and other entertainment. 

I think it evens out. At least, I hope so. Man Happy 

@peachesncream   We're definitely spending more on groceries. I'm stocking up on staples when I can find them and cooking much more than usual. We used to eat out several times a week, but like you, are bringing in one night a week, no movies or other outside entertainment expenses. Both of us are saving on salon haircuts and gas since not going anywhere often.

DH is going to do a spread sheet at the end of the month for the last 3 months just to get a comparison, but it is what it is for the time being. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am using Instacart at Costco and a small local market.  I got deliveries from both today.  Trader Joe's is out of my mix right now because they have no delivery service.  I am spending more for the safety and convenience but I figure I am not going to exercise class, to the movies or plays, out to lunch or dinner with friends so it evens out but I do miss grocery shopping.  

I am still in AZ but I went to TJs yesterday.  I was impressed with the masked workers stocking shelves and sanitizing register areas, carts, etc.  There was no line when I got there but a small line had formed when I left.  Temps in high 90s.

Honored Contributor

@tansy 

That is what I have heard about Trader Joe's up here from my neighbors.  High 90's - Yikes!

Honored Contributor

I feel like I am spending way more, too!  At this time it seems like I am always thinking about food in some way, shape or form.  Ridiculous!  Getting an order ready for the next Aldi delivery.  Getting a list made up for the next Walmart run.  Checking to see what we are out of, what we need, etc., etc.!  Before all this virus stuff, I just went to the food stores on Saturday and never gave it another thought the rest of the week!  I think this is adding to my desire to over eat because food is never far from my mind!  Not only that, but more anxiety and being stuck at home all the time!  Sheesh!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I feel like I am spending way more, too!  At this time it seems like I am always thinking about food in some way, shape or form.  Ridiculous!  Getting an order ready for the next Aldi delivery.  Getting a list made up for the next Walmart run.  Checking to see what we are out of, what we need, etc., etc.!  Before all this virus stuff, I just went to the food stores on Saturday and never gave it another thought the rest of the week!  I think this is adding to my desire to over eat because food is never far from my mind!  Not only that, but more anxiety and being stuck at home all the time!  Sheesh!  

@AngelPuppy1, I know what you mean. This experience has increased my empathy for those who normally face hunger every day.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery bills

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking about food all the time too.  It's like a war strategy to figure out what I need and where to get it.  I hate this, I'm one that likes to be prepared.  I'm cultivating a variety of sources for things I need.

Chicken was hard to find at the start of the pandemic but now I can get it.  I'm having trouble now with cleaning products.  They are all out of stock.  I've checked everywhere.  

I'm mostly paying a premium for delivery but a few sources have free shipping and for that, I am thankful.  I just have to keep checking back for out of stock items.

I got an order from Target that was canned items and the entire order was made of defective cans that got dented in shipment.  No packing material was used.  Be careful what you order, cans are tricky.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I go into the store to buy groceries and have seen few shortages except paper products and cleaning products. I don't need cleaning products for awhile (I avoid cleaning like the plague but live alone) but I would like to find some hand sanitier to keep in the car. Haven't looked for it except when I am in the store though.  I do have to say that Dole Tropical Fruit Cocktail, (canned) went up at Piggly Wiggly from anywhere from $1.20 a can to a $1.40 a can to $2.00. I accused them of price gouging but they swear they did not. I believe them. I am addicted to that stuff for some weird reason and even before the pandemic would buy 5 cans or so at a time. Not anymore.

Honored Contributor

I'm a huge sale shopper. I know the rock bottom prices for things I buy, I know the seasonal and once a year low prices for things, and I often stock for an entire year at those lowest price times. Other things will cycle in sales based on the season, or some things every quarter or so.

But in my area, real 'sales' have gone down to almost nothing. For me, paying 'regular' price is super high compared to what I normally pay. Until Covid, I'd estimate that 90% of any shopping trip I made for groceries and household supplies was on sale, usually deep sale. Now, I have to say that maybe 30% of what I'm picking up is actually on sale. 

I have chosen to keep stocked up on many things, just because of the uncertainty of supply issues and prices in the foreseeable future, so have been spending much more money than I am used to for many things. We still have great prices on dairy and eggs, but pre packaged foods like cereals, frozen foods etc. are not going on sale or very few things are, and not the lower prices from before. 

The store I mostly shop is still putting out an ad each week, but it is only a couple of pages, and the prices featured are nothing to be excited about. 

I keep telling myself that the extra cost of items I used to buy so cheaply is somewhat offset by the fact that a tank of gas is lasting me 6 weeks, I'm not spending money eating out, or shopping other places. We aren't really buying anything but household supplies and groceries and fuel, so I suspect if I ran the numbers, overall spending isn't much different, it's just getting spent somewhere different. 

And as a side note, I was wondering how many of you see stores full of good fresh produce right now, with reasonable prices. That is what I'm seeing in my part of Ohio. Lots of good produce and good prices, even if not listed as 'sale'. It kind of surprises me, because early spring in Ohio often doesn't have such great quality or prices on fresh produce.