Respected Contributor

I guess they are all called Marty.  Our Giant in PA has one too.  He's cute, not annnoying at all.

Honored Contributor

Hoo boy.  Wait until some unsupervised child climbs on it, knocks it over, and breaks it-like the glass sculpture fiasco.

Should be another fun discussion.  lmao

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Better put a warning on it.

Image result for danger will robinson

Honored Contributor

At least it doesn't zap a person for littering.  Although not a bad idea.

Image result for robot  laser in day the earth stood still

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Robot

[ Edited ]

Reminds me of the automatic guided vehicles with sensors used in our hospitals, and they were introduced at least as far back as the late 1980s.

It sounds like the grocery store robots cleaning and polishing the floors have some relationship to the robotic home vacuums.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

It may relieve humans of some of the more dreary and uninspiring tasks there are in a store.  More emphasis on customer service and good management could be a plus.  Robots wouldn't know drudgery.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We need robots in our Emergency Rooms not in the grocery store.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I want one that zaps the people who bash into me with their cart! 

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I want one that zaps the people who bash into me with their cart! 

@trenet 

Related image

Respected Contributor

Our Giant here in PA said the robot's name was Martina.  I guess they wanted to personalize it.

The bad part is Martina showed up two weeks ago and yesterday we got a letter telling us the pharmacy in our store is closing.  They gave us three days notice and in the letter they TOLD us our records were being transferred to the nearest CVS. 

The pharmacy has always been busy and I understand it is one of the high earning pharmacies for Giant, so I don't know what is going on.

We went in to say bye to the pharmacists we have come to know and really depend upon and were told we could have our records transferred to another Giant.  Why that wasn't stated in the letter is beyond me!  I think the customers should have been given more time and a choice of what they wanted.

The three pharmacists (one full time, two part time) are not being placed and were given severance packages.  One part time pharmacist is 61 years old and he wasn't there today, but we were told he is really upset and doesn't know how he is going to find employment at his age. 

However, at least we have a robot running around the store for $250,000.