Respected Contributor

Went to Costco for the first time in 2 months. I was dreading it, but it wasn't bad at all.  Plenty of TP (I didn't look for paper towels or Clorox wipes). Produce was on clearance, I guess no one is buying. 

The coffee grinders were taken away, so that was a bummer.  Gas was 99 cents a gallon. 

Esteemed Contributor

Same here. In my supermarket most men did not seem to care about arrows for one-way aisles.

For those looking for chicken: is there a butcher shop nearby? I bought chicken for me and beef for my dog at the shop near my house in order to avoid the supermarket. More $, but worth it for me. 

Even they were limited in what they had to offer, just like the markets.

Honored Contributor

Still don't have toilet paper.  I'm now down to 6 rolls.  Have not been able to buy any since this pandemic started.  They are not in Grocery stores.  I haven't tried the dollar stores, but I never thought of getting them there.

Respected Contributor

What I am wondering is how often grocery workers change their gloves. Not once have I seen a grocery checker change their gloves between orders. Scary.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Contributor
@songbird I've had much better luck finding all paper products, and Lysol, at Walgreens, even got 20% off last week. Family went to Walmart a few days ago & said they had a good supply of paper products on shelves. I find dollar stores a complete waste of time!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

I just had a Costco order delivered and my wonderful shopper found everything, including toilet paper.  He said that the store was not that bad today, which is good news.

As far as the grocery store, I stopped in a few days ago and they had very little paper products, other than the store brand tissues.

The frozen food section was mostly empty.  I am in Maryland, near DC.

Question:  When shopping in grocery store, following arrows going up and down, when someone stops in the aisle to look at something for quite awhile, do you quickly pass them by or wait? 

When I was there, the person in front of me decided to wait  and there was a significat amount of people behind me, blocking the front of the store. 

@Mersha , I don't know if this is right, but I quickly pass.

I never thought about this, until now.

We try and shop really early when we can at one local area supermarket when they have their early morning senior/vulnerable hours, so we normally don't run into this problem.

If I see too many people in an aisle, I'll back out of the aisle and go back to it when it's empty of people.  

We don't have one-way traffic in our aisles. 

People tend to be really polite and they'll pass quickly, trying to keep their distance from each other. 

Most of the people that we see when out shopping are wearing masks, too. 

My husband has been wearing a dust mask when we go out, as that is what we've had here from what I've bought for cleaning, and I've been wearing a heavy winter scarf when going out.

We're in SE Wisconsin, and it's still cold enough here in the 40's to warrant wearing a scarf for me during the day.

I would normally be wearing a scarf anyway, as I have Asthma and need to keep my face and lungs warm. 

The virus has been bad enough here, but not as bad in other places. 

Most of the supermarkets and other stores have been "hit or miss" on various products.

I wanted to go to a Dollar General for various items yesterday, including some health and beauty items.

I think that it had been about 6 weeks since we had last been to our local Dollar General store.

Some of the shelves were completely bare there, and some were pretty well stocked, like the canned soup and veggie aisle, and the canned meats were pretty well stocked along with the peanut butter and jellies/jams. 

I was surprised to see that they had any toilet paper. They've been limiting how much customers can buy at a time. 

Products that I have not seen--no matter which supermarket or store I've been in--are no sanitizing wipes like Clorox or Lysol or store brand of any kind, and no hand sanitizers of any kind or brand. 

We were there around 6 p.m. last night, after my husband was done working for the day. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Still don't have toilet paper.  I'm now down to 6 rolls.  Have not been able to buy any since this pandemic started.  They are not in Grocery stores.  I haven't tried the dollar stores, but I never thought of getting them there.

@songbird - definitely try the dollar stores and also Big Lots, if you have one in your area.  And definitely Walgreens and CVS.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Some of us have had some luck there at our area dollar stores.

If you want to try there, ask an employee when their deliveries come in, and then try and be there when they're putting out the stock for their paper goods if you can. Smiley Happy

Other places to try would be gas station convenience stores, and hardware stores like Ace and True Value and the larger big box home improvement chain stores like Home Depot and Loew's.

If you're in an area that farms, you might also have luck at a farming supply store, too.

I'm in the Midwest, and we have stores like Fleet Farm and Farm and Fleet.

They're really nice department stores, similar to Target/Walmart.

They sell farming supplies but they also sell small appliances and clothing and laundry detergent and pet food, baking items, candy, snacks, toys--things like that, as well. 

You might also try the office supply stores, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy Everytime I go to a grocery store I check out the canned soup section for tomato soup.  And like you said our soup section is also dismal and I still haven’t found tomato soup. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read that the mill workers work the usual 24/7 to produce paper products, but they have not stepped up production.  They produce same pace they have always had done.  And they don't plan to increase it.

Still certain brands like Charmin Ultra Soft, Bounty Towels, etc are very difficult to find.  

@itsmagic  Yep!  I haven't seen Tomato soup in a long time!

Since I only do grocery shopping via delivery, I don't know how the supermarkets are like now.  The only time I went was to a Weis supermarket in March which was like an experiene from hell.  Complete with bare shelves and police in front  of the building and inside.