Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i've never had groceries delivered....but....my husband is scheduled for shoulder surgery and i don't drive...think i'll use amazon prime....how much do you tip the driver.....thanks...

@nana59 

I use Instacart which is available in a lot of cities....Ive never had a problem (but I think our grocery chain, HEB, makes sure that they hire quality people) 

Ive used them for 2 yrs now....way before the pandemic, I got tired of lugging 25 lbs of kitty litter, big bags of cat food, and other heavy items.....  Its contactless delivery the shopper/driver takes of photo of your groceries placed at your front door...

The default tip is 5% and the minimum suggested tip is $2.....You can give more or decline a tip altogether.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

If you can get delivery or even just pick up you are lucky. Cannot get it here. I have ads try our delivery but when you put in the store it says not available in your area. Also cannot get takeout from any restaurant even pizza. You have to go get it.

Honored Contributor

I get regular deliveries from Costco and Metropolitan Market (local chain) from Instacart.  I wait until I get the delivery (I just have it left on the front porch) and adjust the tip after if they do a good job. 

Valued Contributor

@gtx wrote:

I have had Kroger delivery by Instacart for 8 months. It works very well for me. The delivery fee and tip are included in the total. 

I use Instacart at Aldis...they deliver,since I don't have a car. Been using them for a couple years now..been pleased! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@gtx wrote:

I have had Kroger delivery by Instacart for 8 months. It works very well for me. The delivery fee and tip are included in the total. 

@gtx, when I was using Instacart, the tip was included, but the default was 5 percent. You can adjust that, and I always changed it to 15 percent.

I've read several new stories about Instacart's treatment of their shoppers. It wasn't pretty. In general, Instacart is an expensive convenience.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Delivery

[ Edited ]

Check out your local grocery stores, Target, WalMart, etc.  Most deliver now.  I have found them cheaper than Amazon too.

I order my groceries online from my 2 favorite stores and go to the drive up lane to get them and it's all no-contact.  I immediately recycle or get rid of the bags since others touched them and scrub my hands.  

I always tip the driver too.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Shipt when I'm at work, no delivery service where I live, too far from town.

I always tip the delivery person in cash. I read where Uber was keeping rider tips from drivers. Uber responded by saying, oh geez, system glitch.

I figure they work hard and I appreciate them delivering. Why not give them cash and they can get gas or their own groceries that day.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used SHIPT for 4 years.  Started it after surgery and I love it.

I ususally get the same shopper and she does a wonderful job for me.  If she has a question about anything I order, she will text me and let me make the choice. 

I have never been disappointed with their service!

I do tip because she does a great job and she is working to support a family just like I did.  Worth it!

Honored Contributor
I have done Kroger pickup a lot but finally had to stop. They screwed up one order so badly I am still out $77.00. Gave up hope of ever getting it back. Now I just go inside and try and be as quick as possible, no more browsing.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Grocery Delivery

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy I use Shop Rite every other week for grocery delivery.There is no place to add tip on their website. I do tip the guy who delivers my orders. I leave an envelope with a note taped to my front door for him and when he is finished leaving all of my stuff on my porch, he rings my doorbell to let me know that he delivered. Pre-pandemic, he would bring my stuff in for me. (I know him so it is not like I am letting a stranger in my home). But since he delivers to so many houses and probably interacts with many people, I have asked him to just leave the stuff on my porch now. 

For the store shoppers, my Shop Rite has several people who shop orders and sometimes more than one person will shop my order (I can tell by the slips on each bag, one person may shop the deli and bakery, another does dairy and frozen etc). Since there are multiple people involved, every other month I send a tip with the driver for the shoppers to split, or I arrange for pizza delivery or something like that. I coordinate this with the manager of the Shop Rite from Home area, and she lets me know the best day/time to do this etc. She tells me that the shoppers really like this. 

Shop Rite is the best deal around for me, They do not raise their prices for Shop rite from Home orders and all of the shoppers and delivery person are Shop Rite employees.The only negative is that they do not take paper coupons, however, they have so many digital coupons available that automatically deduct from the order.