Regular Contributor

Re: Grocery Delivery Services

WE use Instacart--- mostly for PUBLIX curbside pick up. DH does all the grocery shopping and hatb way he let's his fingers do the walkking. 

Honored Contributor

I signed up for free delivery from 2 stores during covid. One offers 50% off the enrollment fee for people over 65. (Walmart does too.)

I love it! First, I hate shopping. Second, and best of all, I spend less money if I order online rather than walk through the store. 

There are tip options on both sites I use.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

People actually NOT do their own grocery shopping?? Seriously? I would NEVER have someone else pick out my groceries. When I grocery shop I spend most of my time reading the expiration dates. I'm quite sure hired help just grabs the first item they see. Sorry but the covid days have made us all extremely lackadaisical. JMO.

In my case, I have some physical limitations that make delivered groceries a godsend.  Perhaps you might try to not be quite so judgmental without knowing the reason people choose a delivery service.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate driving and dread it so I use Walmart delivery. 99.9% of the time they are perfect. I can order very early in the morning and get it delivered by 8 am. They seem to have more drivers early on. 

I only have to spend 35.00 to have it delivered plus I always tip. Lots of times I use their next day delivery for nonperishable for which there is no limit amount and no tipping. 

I wish they had a good meat department so I miss that part but everything else is good. 

They have done a very good job picking out my groceries and subs if I need them. 

Love delivery. Not having to lift 40 pd tubs of cat litter plus other heavy stuff is so worth it.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

People actually NOT do their own grocery shopping?? Seriously? I would NEVER have someone else pick out my groceries. When I grocery shop I spend most of my time reading the expiration dates. I'm quite sure hired help just grabs the first item they see. Sorry but the covid days have made us all extremely lackadaisical. JMO.

I'm the opposite. I use instacart.  I'm always in touch with the shopper.  I tell him exactly I want.  If it's not there, he shows me via photo what something similar is there. The shopper does the best he can.  His job is on the line from reviews from the customer. I require experation dates on many items. I ask.  The shopper tells me.  Yes, I have the nerve not to shop at a supermarket in perosn.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually enjoy grocery shopping.  I want to choose my own meat & produce as I am very picky.  Also after working in groceries I am very wary of dates on dairy, cheeses, breads & bakery goods.  I also do self checkout so guess I'm odd.

Valued Contributor

@rockygems123 --I signed up a while back for Kroger's Boost membership, but kept it just for the 30 day free trial, then resigned. Now with this $20 off coupon, I plan to sign up for a whole year's membership. It seems like a really good idea for me now because my car is old (in fact, right now it's in the body shop) and, therefore, maybe not the most trustworthy if we have a bad winter. Plus I park out back in a carport nex to the alley. The bad thing about that is, again in winter, if no one shovels the snow for me, I can't open the gates to get my car out. Delivery service would be a blessing!

As for tipping, at least around here, one has a choice with Kroger's to either choose delivery from Instacart or Kroger's itself. If you choose Kroger's, there is no tipping allowed. But if you choose Instacart, there is tipping.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 Don't knock it until you've tried it.  I am as picky as they come--but while you are in the store reading lables and expiration dates, I'm home in my pj's making my delivery or pickup list.

I find the employees (I'd say "working people" not "hired help") do a great job with getting produce.  So good in fact that I'm convinced it comes from the stock room not the bin in the store most of the time.  I have had to "return" about 5 things in a year and a half--and I reported it on my computer and it was instantly credited.

Where we live at least delivery is very quick and efficient and pickups (which we almost always do) are quick as well and we have never had a bad eperience with the young people who are working (and I emphasize young people working) there.  

So considering the others who have answered, I think you might be pleasantly surprised unless you enjoy the grocery shopping--which I don't any more.

Regular Contributor

The service has been a Godsend for me.
My epilepsy seizures are triggered by driving. So I gave up that privilege. Instacart is cheaper then paying for Uber rides to the store and back. The service now let’s you keep a shopper you like.
Valued Contributor

@ID2 I have always been leary of this type of service.  I'm sure they just grab the first item, as you said.  I also check out all expiration dates and take the one dated the farthest in the future.  Not to mention crawling to the back of the bread shelves to get a decent expiration date.  Plus I can't imagine someone picking out produce for me.  I'm very picky.