Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gregg Allman Passed Away

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

It was weird what Cher tweeted about Gregg's death. It's not as if I didn't already know she is a nut case. I wasn't going to comment other than to say that he lost his brother so young, and went into a downward spiral. He obviously cleaned himself up or he wouldn't have been made it to age 68. Doing that is in and of itself noteworthy. His talent, however,  is legendary and undisputed. Duane & Gregg have their place in Southern Rock as Pioneers. My condolences to his family.

dee

Gregg cleaned up after the Allman Bros were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  I've heard many interviews over the years that he was appalled and how wasted he was when he made his speech. Reality hit him- and he went cold turkey on  everything, even cigarettes 

Valued Contributor

Wake Up Mama, Turn Your Lamp Down Low

(Statesboro Blues)

Sweet Melissa

I'm No Angel

'Beautiful man even with his frailties and shortcomings.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  That's just how it is.

Darn it!  He had the Kavorka!  I was rarely attracted to fair haired men, but he could have won me over!  'Hope life is good on the other side for you, Gregg.  Your music will always have a place in my heart. Heart Peace*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

Tie me to the whipping post

stormy monday

minight rider

Its not my cross to bare

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

It was weird what Cher tweeted about Gregg's death. It's not as if I didn't already know she is a nut case. I wasn't going to comment other than to say that he lost his brother so young, and went into a downward spiral. He obviously cleaned himself up or he wouldn't have been made it to age 68. Doing that is in and of itself noteworthy. His talent, however,  is legendary and undisputed. Duane & Gregg have their place in Southern Rock as Pioneers. My condolences to his family.

dee

Gregg cleaned up after the Allman Bros were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  I've heard many interviews over the years that he was appalled and how wasted he was when he made his speech. Reality hit him- and he went cold turkey on  everything, even cigarettes 

He said in his book and there is a youtube interview with him and Dan Rather regarding his getting clean. The R & R Hall of Fame thing was his turning point but he did not go cold turkey. He said he had been in rehab multiple times so he hired a male nurse to take care of him at home. His nurse had worked in rehab so he knew what to do. Gregg said he had IV infusions and meds administered by his live-in nurse to get him through his physical withdrawal from heroin, cocaine and cigarettes. 

Esteemed Contributor

My heart is so heavy learning of the passing of Gregg Allman.  I was so blessed to have heard him and the Allman Brothers Band a few times in my life.  They and the Eagles are my favorite bands of my youth.  We lost Glenn Frey last year, and Gregg this year.  Such talent to be gone.  Wishing Gregg's family peace during this time of sorrow.  He will be missed by all who loved Southern Rock. 

Melissa

Jessica

Whipping Post

Rambling Man

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

I'm No Angel

and so many, many more.    Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love the Allman Brothers band.  Back in my early college years they were my favorite.  Late 60's and early 70's.  Brings back memories of my college days...

RIP Greg....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

dee

He said in his book and there is a youtube interview with him and Dan Rather regarding his getting clean. The R & R Hall of Fame thing was his turning point but he did not go cold turkey. He said he had been in rehab multiple times so he hired a male nurse to take care of him at home. His nurse had worked in rehab so he knew what to do. Gregg said he had IV infusions and meds administered by his live-in nurse to get him through his physical withdrawal from heroin, cocaine and cigarettes. 

He went cold turkey the final attempt- post R & R HOF,  when he hired an addiction nurse to monitor his withdrawal at his home.  He had a dozen or so  prior unsuccessful attempts in rehab facilities. 

His Dan Rather interview is great- I got a sense who Gregg was. A kind and generous spirit!  Try and find the full hour version on the web. 'The Big Interview with Dan Rather' - it was  on AXS tv, probably 2 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

The Dan Rather interview re-airs on May 30th, 9:00, AXS tv.

Well worth watching. 

I enjoyed his book, too.  What a life!!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

One of my favorites....Soulshine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVcY6o6KcUw

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

You can't abuse your body for years and expect to live to be a ripe ole age. RIP.

Tell that to Keith Richards.

@QVCkitty1   I just had the same thought.  Along with David Crosby.

Regardless of lifestyle, this is another sad day.

"If there's a rock 'n roll heaven-you know they have a h*lluva band". (Righteous Bros.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh