Respected Contributor

I donate to a few places and they keep sending cards, address labels, etc.It seems like they send mailings out every week or so. I really wish they would skip sending things and use it towards their needs. I would still donate. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I have a lot of greeting cards received from various charities.  Does anyone know of any organizations that accepts such cards??  Would really hate to throw them out.

one reason why I spent time getting our names off all those lists, moving on perhaps your library, or local facebook groups... I could post a box/s of those and they would be gone in a heartbeat 

Honored Contributor

Take them to Goodwill and drive quickly away.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Most thrift stores in our area take them. Throw them in with your next box/bag of donations.

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I donate to a few places and they keep sending cards, address labels, etc.It seems like they send mailings out every week or so. I really wish they would skip sending things and use it towards their needs. I would still donate. 

i totally agree!!  i don't want my donation to be spent on greeting cards, etc.....i donate to locate charities that use my money wisely......food bank....local veterans groups......women's shelters......

Valued Contributor

Re: Greeting Cards

[ Edited ]

I'm sure this will not be received well by most here, but I don't care. Prisoners in your local County jail are always looking for donations like this. Look online and you will find the person/place to drop them off to be distributed. Before anyone jumps on me, I also donate my used books to the County Jail. The County Jail now relies on my contributions to their minimal library. I know for sure, many prisoners have family/children they would like to send cards. This is just one of my "forgotten people" dimensions I donate. I encourage you to check online, your donation will be appreciated by children and loved ones of those incarcerated 

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife   I never thought of the county jail.  I contacted them and will await their response.  Excellent suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife 

Thank you, I have lots of books and charity cards and hadn't thought of  our county jail. Tomorrow, I'll give them a call.

Valued Contributor

Re: Greeting Cards

[ Edited ]

I should also say, if anyone donates used books to a Jail, be sure and check the stringent rules. The County Jail where I donate, the books can't have violence, sexual content and have to be paperbacks. Also, there are many illiterate adults but don't want to be embarrassed by reading children's books. My donations of teenage reading level mysteries, sports, fantasy books are very well received.  Spiritual books, like Tuesdays With Maury type, are the most requested. Believe it or not, Bibles are the #1 requested book. Funny you can find them collecting dust in hotels, but where they're needed most they're a hot commodity. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it is a great idea to donate these greeting cards to prisoners and books to their library. Only problem I have encountered is that due to COVID they have stopped accepting donations right now. Hopefully they will resume taking them. I usually donate mine to a thrift store. I save them up until I have a boxful and then donate them.