Respected Contributor

I like Gold Peak unsweet tea and at a local market there was a display of Gold Peak tea that included peach, green tea, raspberry.  I bought a couple bottles of sweet green tea and really liked it, so back I went to that store which is not my normal store for groceries and naturally there was no more of that particular tea.  Couldn't find it where we usually shop either, so I decided to look on Amazon.

Was so happy to see it there UNTIL I looked at the price.  It was $42 for 2 cartons of 6 bottles each.  Cost at a local store of Gold Peak 6 bottle carton of tea would be approximately $7.   

What a shock it was to see a price of $42 and more surprising in the reviews everyone loved the tea, gave it a 5 star rating and no one said anything about the price.  Of course I won't buy it.  What a disappointment.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Green Tea Price Surprise

It's probably sold by a 3rd party seller on there.  The price will always be inflated. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, maybe we have acclimated to the price hikes!  @KathyM23   Can you try brewing your own green tea and sweeten it....I do this with herbal teas and refrigerate.  Not as fast, but sure is cheaper than the Amazon price.

Honored Contributor

Loose tea is so much better is so many cases.  It is easy if you invest (not cheap!) in a ForLife mug with a filter and a lid.  My favorite is the smaller 11 oz. Dew model, but they have bigger ones as well.

They make loose so easy and so good!!!

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 

Online people can ASK whatever they want, but it doesn't mean people will pay it.  Many times they can price themselves out of the market.

If you've been to the tea manufacturer's website and found no other stores in your area, try googling the name of the tea and your zip code.  

That's all that comes to mind right now .... good luck.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @phoenixbrd   Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try your method for finding the bottled tea.  I really don't want to make the tea as I don't drink much at home.   When I am at home I just drink bottled tea only one bottle a day.  Most days I go out for lunch and that is mostly when I drink my daily allotment of tea.

I drink unsweetened Gold Peak tea at home and when I bought the sweetened green tea I used 1/2 bottle of unsweetened black tea and 1/2 bottle of the sweetened green tea.  Not too many calories that way and it sure tasted good.  If I can find that bottled green tea at a normal price that will become my drink of choice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has zero to do with being "acclimated to price hikes". As has been stated here it's a common practice of Amazon third party sellers, and it has been for at least decades..

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon is notorius for higher pricing, be very careful!!! Good example, last year we bought a small microwave at Home Depot, $57, checked it on amazon and it was $115.