Honored Contributor

Great present for an old mom

I mentioned in a couple of other forums that my girls were going to organize my bedroom for my birthday (I had suggested this not knowing they were already planning it!)

I have a very small bedroom, but a lot of "stuff."  There is no other place to put any of my "stuff" in this small apartment but my bedroom.  In short, it has always been a mess since we moved in almost three years ago.

Yesterday my two youngest daughters came in with boxes and bags, and other organizing-type gadgets (like tie-up things for the mess of wires under my desk) and went to work.  I did all the sorting of old makeup and paperwork, old meds, magazines, stuff on top of my desk in various baskets, in my cabinet.  The girls handed the stuff to me and I sorted it while sitting on my bed, and threw it into the boxes and bags. 

They hit the bench under my windows first which has four drawers and four pull-out baskets that were full of old junk.  There were computer wires, books, and old parts of systems I used to have but have not used in years.  I couldn't even identify half of it.  Out it went.

They organized all of my CDs and DVDs, they cleared off the top of the bench so that I could use both my new laser printer and my old inkjet printer (for scanning and color printing . . . let me inject here that I did not want a color laser printer as the inkjet does a better job and I don't use it often).  They framed photos for me and put them on the wall, they threw out zillion-year old makeup and brushes and organized only the good stuff.  They Windexed the windows, dusted and cleaned all of my computer equipment, changed my bedside to facilitate me being closer to the door and I don't have to walk around the bed anymore . . . my gosh, I could go on and on.

There was a huge black trash bag full of stuff which my youngest daughter then went through to separate all of the recycling.  Several boxes, same thing.  All separated.  They lugged it over to the trash bins.  Then my youngest vacuumed and re-made my bed while my LBI daughter went into the kitchen and washed all the dishes.  She then took three or four bottles of Aveeno hand cream which I could no longer squeeze the cream out of the bottom, and combined it into one nice Aveeno container.  Small thing?  Nope.  It took four hours!!  It is so organized now that I will be able to keep up with it myself from now on.

I think I mentioned that my LBI daughter organized my very small clothes closet several months ago and that has stayed organized!!

If I had made a New Year's resolution (which I didn't) it would have been to get more organized . . . and here I am, totally ORGANIZED!!

This was the best birthday present I've ever received.  I have such great kids.  I love them so much.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Great present for an old mom

Can I rent them?

Honored Contributor

Amazing gift!   Those are wonderful daughters.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Can I rent them?

@Justice4all

Ha ha ha!!  I love you folks . . . but nope!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Amazing gift!   Those are wonderful daughters.

@chrystaltree

Oh yes they are.  I am a very lucky woman.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

How wonderful for you...but you are a good mother, so I'm sure it was a gift of love

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree

I understand just what you are saying. 

My mom is 81 and still lives next door in her own home alone. She is really active and capable for her age (heck she outdoes me in many things), but some work is just too hard for her or she needs another set of eyes to get it done right. 

She loves when we do things like this for her. Last summer for her birthday, I bought a truck load of mulch and weeded all her beds trimmed her bushes and laid new mulch. It about killed me, but I got it done in one day. 

It thrilled her more than diamonds would have!

Around Christmas I took my son up there, and we took down every light globe and cover, every ceiling fan light globe etc, washed them all and put them back up. She was ecstatic. 

I'm to the age where I ask my son to just come and help me mulch the flower beds on my property for Mother's Day. He did one year, but I would love that as my gift every year. IT makes such a difference in the appearance of the yard, and for folks who are young and strong, it only takes a fraction of the time to get it done. 

I know you have to be loving the cleaned up look and feel of your room. 

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTreeThat present is going to make your life easier for years.  What a wonderful gift your girls gave you.

I don't know why it's so hard to throw things away, but it is.

Happy, happy birthday and I hope you feel younger in your "new" bedroom!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@LilacTree

I understand just what you are saying. 

My mom is 81 and still lives next door in her own home alone. She is really active and capable for her age (heck she outdoes me in many things), but some work is just too hard for her or she needs another set of eyes to get it done right. 

She loves when we do things like this for her. Last summer for her birthday, I bought a truck load of mulch and weeded all her beds trimmed her bushes and laid new mulch. It about killed me, but I got it done in one day. 

It thrilled her more than diamonds would have!

Around Christmas I took my son up there, and we took down every light globe and cover, every ceiling fan light globe etc, washed them all and put them back up. She was ecstatic. 

I'm to the age where I ask my son to just come and help me mulch the flower beds on my property for Mother's Day. He did one year, but I would love that as my gift every year. IT makes such a difference in the appearance of the yard, and for folks who are young and strong, it only takes a fraction of the time to get it done. 

I know you have to be loving the cleaned up look and feel of your room. 

Enjoy!

@Mominohio

How wonderful it is on both sides!  They felt good doing it and I am so grateful at not having to look at and try to manage my days in such a disarray.

I'm happy that you know the feeling.  We both know that not all parents get this from their children, which is so sad.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@LilacTreeThat present is going to make your life easier for years.  What a wonderful gift your girls gave you.

I don't know why it's so hard to throw things away, but it is.

Happy, happy birthday and I hope you feel younger in your "new" bedroom!

@millieshops

Oh I do . . . and guess what?  It cost almost nothing but their time and love.

Formerly Ford1224