Honored Contributor

@Miss PepsiIt is all individual choice.  I'm with the hairdresser -  some hair needs the color boost, as much for the body color adds as for the color itself.  Both my sisters inherited the texture of their hair from our father -  thick and heavy; one even inherited my father's snow-white color.  She had pretty hair right up into her 90's.

I inherited my mother's color -  grayish with lots of yellowing and orange.  Add to that I also got her fine, flyaway testure and you have a perfect storm.  As long as I have my mind and any discretionary funds, I'd rather buy hair color than new clothes or a bigger car, etc.   

Once all 5 of us were out on our own, although my mother didn't color her hair she did go weekly to the hairdresser.  Frequent cuts, rinses, and a set.  No idea what she spent, but comparatively, I'd say I pay my hairdresser less per month than she would if she lived in my kind of area at this time.  She's been gone 35 years now and lived in a tiny rural area -  no idea what she paid because it's irrelevant.  I was pleased for her -  I believe the years she could pamper herself were her best hair years after my parents lost their business in the Depression of the early 30's when she was a young woman.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Momtodogs, pretty is relative and my opinion is your hairdresser is of course in the business to make money but having said that, what she or he said to you was nothing short of rude.

————————

My hairdresser knows that I never plan to color my hair and she has never encouraged me to do so. She did say last year that it’s turning out to be a nicer color than she initially thought it would be LOL. 

Trusted Contributor

Happy for everyone who is chomping at the bit to go to the hairdresser.  My hairdresser called me a week or two ago to say he's taking appointments.  I declined for now.

I've been seeing this same guy for 20 years, and started having him color and highlight it when my gray got really bad.  While I liked the look well enough, I hate spending so much time at the salon, not to mention the expense.  I mean, I REALLY hate it. 😣 Considering that I'm retired now and not quite as bothered about gray hair, I'm thinking of giving up dying it.  I wear my (long) hair up in a bun or ponytail most of the time anyway because it is so hot in Vegas most of the year.  DH suffered numerous  serious health problems last year, so the risk just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I figure I can always change my mind if the public health situation improves, but for now, I'll pass.  The rest of you beauties, go glam it up!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Good news for you

...my appointment is next Tuesday.  I have not had a haircut since the end of February.  I opted for no color, since I have to wear a mask....

If the mask mandate is still on next appointment I will again not color my hair.  I have been wanting to let it go but my hairdresser said it was not a pretty gray, we shall see.

I bet she did say that 😄🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑 How RUDE. 

Honored Contributor

I am so jealous. But I am glad for you.

I hope sometime in June we will be able to get a hair cut. My hair was short and layered. But now the layers from the top of my head are almost past my ears. Not a good look.

Honored Contributor

My sister lives about an hour away, a different county. They are loosening their restrictions sooner than the county I am in. Told her to let me know when their salons open, 'cuz it will be worth an hour drive to have my hair cut. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

My sister lives about an hour away, a different county. They are loosening their restrictions sooner than the county I am in. Told her to let me know when their salons open, 'cuz it will be worth an hour drive to have my hair cut. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler, many people are crossing city, county, or state lines. But there might be a very good reason that one area is more restrictive than a neighboring one. That's the idea behind letting local authorities decide.

I don't think it was meadnt to encourage such travel from an area that decided they needed to wait a bit longer to one that didn't. Such movement can carry the virus across lines.

It's really safer for everyone to remain where they are. It can't be too much longer for your salons to open. I do know how you fee, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I applaud all who are dealing with this in their own way.  My hair was permed and colored so the ends became dry and picky.  The roots were ugly salt and pepper.

I ended up buying a child's trimmer and buzzing it all down to nothing.  I look like a child monk.  I wear a hat when outside now.

My husband and son are in shock.  My intention is to grow it a bit and use Just for Men to even out the color.  I have ordered a normal looking wig for "formal" occasions.  I also will try some fun pastel wigs.

Since I am one who will stay home until I get the vaccine, I hope I hope to have a system worked out by then.  I think my costly color and perm days are over.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I applaud all who are dealing with this in their own way.  My hair was permed and colored so the ends became dry and picky.  The roots were ugly salt and pepper.

I ended up buying a child's trimmer and buzzing it all down to nothing.  I look like a child monk.  I wear a hat when outside now.

My husband and son are in shock.  My intention is to grow it a bit and use Just for Men to even out the color.  I have ordered a normal looking wig for "formal" occasions.  I also will try some fun pastel wigs.

Since I am one who will stay home until I get the vaccine, I hope I hope to have a system worked out by then.  I think my costly color and perm days are over.

OMG, @KarenQVC :-) Are you saying that you're bald? How cool is that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 Bald, yes, pretty much.  I see the virus as an opportunity to advance my options.

Now, you should know this is not social suicide here.  Ann Arbor MI is accepting of the eccentric.  Heck, even celebrates eccentrics.  That is one reason we retired here.

Then the hair look matches my wardrobe.  I wear retro Chinese midi dresses and retro Chinese shoes and boots.

Oh, and chunky bright jewelry.  So, I already don't look like a "normal" old lady to begin with.

I do plan to have my husband learn to use the length guards on the trimmer so future trims will take the hair down to 1/2 inch, which, when colored, will be some hair.  I didn't have him do the first cut because I knew he didn't have the guts. Plus, he didn't really believe I wanted to try it.