Esteemed Contributor

Grant Imahara of "MythBusters" Dead at age 49

Grant Imahara from the tv show "MythBusters" died suddenly today, (July 13), of a brain aneurysm.

He was a roboticist and a electrical engineer, but was well known for his time in "MythBusters".

He also did special effects for ILM (Industrial Light and Magic), and worked on a couple of Star Wars movies, among other movies.

He got engaged to his long time girlfriend in December of 2016.

He doesn't have any children.

He will be missed!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Grant Imahara of "MythBusters" Dead at age 49

So young.  I always liked him on Mythbusters.

Honored Contributor

He wil be missed. I used to watch MythBusters all the time. He explained everything so well and had such a fun, positive demeanor. He spent his time on Earth well and contributed to educating all of us.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sad. I just read the cause of his death. 

TMZ report

Grant Imahara complained of migraines in the days before doctors discovered his brain aneurysm, and emergency surgery, sadly, couldn't save him ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the "MythBusters" host's family tell us ... he'd been experiencing painful headaches for a few days before Saturday night, when he was having dinner with his girlfriend at a home in L.A.

We're told at some point during the meal, Grant's pain worsened and he felt dizzy, along with experiencing severe neck and back pain and numbness in his legs. After he showed signs of being unresponsive, his GF called 911, we're told this was around 9 PM.

Our sources say when paramedics arrived, Grant's vitals were normal but he was still in serious pain, so he was rushed to a hospital. We're told doctors soon realized he had a brain aneurysm, and he underwent emergency surgery.

Grant survived the surgery -- no small feat when dealing with an aneurysm -- but we're told he never fully recovered. He had another operation Sunday, but again came out unresponsive and in critical condition.

On Monday, we're told he had an MRI to prep for a third surgery ... but doctors discovered the extent of the damage was too severe. Grant was wholly unresponsive, and the decision was made to take him off life support.

The accomplished electrical engineer, roboticist and beloved Discovery host's sudden death, at just 49 years old, was a severe shock to his friends and longtime coworkers.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear this. We used to watch Mythbusers all the time and he was so funny and added a lot to the show. Sympathy to his family and may he rest i peace.