Esteemed Contributor

Grandkids visit (bittersweet)

I guess this happens. and will happen more and more so no big deal but I got kind of choked up tonight.

My 3 granddaughters always loved to stay with us on occassion (over night) and I just adore them and their company because they mean the world to me (plus the play rock band and board games which we all love and we have so much fun).They have their own spare bedroom here.

Well the 13 yr old is starting not to want to come as much. She does once in awhile. but shes getting older now and likes to have sleepovers with her school friends or what not. I understand this but I do get a little sad because we were so close always.

So the youngest (7), and the middle granddaughter (11) wanted to come tonight but not the 13 yr old.

Well the 7 yr old was coloring, and all of a sudden out of nowhere she starts crying. (lol). I miss my Mommy, I want to go home. Tears running down her face. I went out of my way to get paper and crayons/markers out to make bunnies, easter baskets, color etc. (I practically stood on my head making her laugh and smile but she wanted Mommy today).

So in the meantime my daughter called to check on them, and the 7 yr old said she wanted to leave. So my daughter came for her (late I might add, I would let her stay and sleep I think but my daughter said its ok, she will drive up).

Well it turned out bitter sweet in the end. I started hiding my face actually crying..lol.. (I dont know why, I guess it hit me, Im not their cool grandmother anymore or something, I dont know).So the middle one says dont worry I will NEVER forget you. Im STAYING over night (aww).So they came to get the youngest one but the oldest ended up riding along and sat here for an hour talking to me about music, peace things, jewelry, school, everything.

So the oldest and the youngest left. But my middle granddaughter stayed.

So I guess as they get older this will happen more and more, but it was bitter sweet. Because even though only one is here (sleeping now). I still know they care. They just mean the world to me. My kids never did this, they were (and still are) close to my dad even as adults and they didnt sleep at my dads but my kids would go to breakfast with my dad and he visited and we visted weekly and they still visit him in the home. (my Mom died young so they didnt know my Mom).

But it turned out ok. Well thats my vent tonight on my dear grandkids. I must get to bed, my middle granddaughter gets up with the chickens ( and Im not kidding..lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles