Honored Contributor

Re: Grandfather Pleads Guilty in Death of GD Dropped from Cruise Ship

There is nothing wrong with the family continuing their lawsuit. If the cruse line is not at fault, that will be proven in court. The family doesn't owe that corporation any special consideration. But with the way the world is right now, the cruise ship company could be out of business before they could pay out any damages. This all happened pre Covid.

I feel bad for the whole family, including the grandfather who made a tragic mistake. The only thing that really matters here is that their precious baby is dead.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: "Re: Grandfather Pleads Guilty in Death of GD Dropped from Cruise Ship

@haddon9    One can also feel the breeze through those windows and hear the noises from the pier below.

I'm sure this family will be relieved to put this horrible incident behind them.  They should forget the lawsuit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It could be that the grandfather's eyesight wasn't good.

I could see that sometimes we wouldn't notice if a window was open or closed, especially if all of the windows are crystal clear.

Just maybe his hearing wasn't good either.  Not able to hear the ocean, engine noise, etc. 

As a juror I wouldn't be able to blame the grandfather. 

Well, that's the way I see it right now, right this minute.

I've been known to change my mind, though.

Best not to leave very young youngsters/babues with the elderly in these situations.

It's hard enough for middle aged parents/younger adults to run around after toddlers and young children.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY   The grandfather isn't elderly, he's only 51.  But you're right - he might have problems seeing and hearing.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY    The grandfather just pleaded guilty to negligent homicide. So I think that I would blame the grandfather. He made a horrible horrible stupid decision and it cost his granddaughter her life. He will live with this guilt for the rest of his life. I don't think that I could continue living if I had done such an awful thing. 

Honored Contributor

We have seen the video time and time again.

Mr. Anello is shown leaning out of the window for at least 20 seconds before reaching down and picking up Chloe.  The video then shows him holding Chloe out the window so far that you actually cannot even see her.

He himself leaned out so far that all you can see is his body from the lower waist down before lifting up Chloe.

As far as the lawsuit, that is not my call.  I do not believe, however, that the family will win.

This is a tragedy with no "closure" or resolution other than his pleading guilty.

This family will grieve the rest of their days; I think it's time to let it be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: "Re: Grandfather Pleads Guilty in Death of GD Dropped from Cruise Ship

What? No time in jail and there is still a civil lawsuit going on against that company? To me pleading guilty should automatically eliminate any Civil Suit against the Cruise Line.  Guilty of a Homicide and no jail time!

Guess laws are different in Puerto Rico.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the family continuing their lawsuit. If the cruse line is not at fault, that will be proven in court. The family doesn't owe that corporation any special consideration. But with the way the world is right now, the cruise ship company could be out of business before they could pay out any damages. This all happened pre Covid.

I feel bad for the whole family, including the grandfather who made a tragic mistake. The only thing that really matters here is that their precious baby is dead.

@Porcelain These lawsuits are something I struggle with. It doesn't look like the Cruise line is going to settle so if they win the law suit will it absolve the grandfather's guilt? Will the money bring back their precious daughter? So how can one enjoy the money? Just questions, no answers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is about time. He was responsible for his granddaughter's death, not the cruiseline.  He knew the window was open. He was the one that lifted her up and held her out the window.  Sorry to hear he will not be serving a day of jail time for the little girl's death, but that is the deal that was made.  Why the husband and wife are still trying to sue the cruiseline is beyond me. Most likely looking to blame anyone but their family member.

Respected Contributor

The grandfather is guilty plain & simple.  He's not some old guy, he was messing around and the one that paid for that is his granddaughter.  The family filed a lawsuit for a money grab.  They figured Royal Caribbean would just cough up a bunch of cash to shut them up.  Good for Royal Caribbean for fighting these greedy people.