Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grandfather Anello to plead guilty to Chloe's death

Her parents still hope to monetize her death.

The Wiegands' attorney says that this will not impact their civil suit.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Her parents still hope to monetize her death.

The Wiegands' attorney says that this will not impact their civil suit.

@Johnnyeager   I've said this before-this family cannot move forward and reconcile the loss of wee Chloe until they fully recognize that RC is not to blame.

I'm stopping short of saying they are just out for the money.  At this point since Anello has changed his plea the parents are now caught.

Originally is was all about the negligence of RC and the innocence of Anello.

Now that he has admitted guilt,  it is going to be a whole different issue-the window was never the point.  The point was what caused her death-and that was his own negligence.

While originally I thought some minimum jail time would be appropriate, I believe this outcome is the best for all.

The parents, to me, are trying to save face, if you will.  The family dynamics to protect him have backfired.

There is enough pain to go around for all of them.  I feel this civil suit is a way of clinging onto blaming RC in some vague hope of making what happened a whole different story than what it really is-a grandfather who used terrible judgment.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

IMO it shouldn't matter if he was her biological grandfather or her step-grandfather.  It was a tragic accident.  He will blame himself for what happened for the rest of his life.  That's a lot worse than any prison sentence.  I can't imagine what he and the rest of their family has been through!

@Linmo   I agree. 

Personally I'm not keen on "step-anything". 

I understand the clarification but it really doesn't matter.   Whether he was a bio grandfather or not doesn't make this more or less of a tragedy.

We've seen awful posts that because he was a "step" that was the reason he was negligent.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

IMO it shouldn't matter if he was her biological grandfather or her step-grandfather.  It was a tragic accident.  He will blame himself for what happened for the rest of his life.  That's a lot worse than any prison sentence.  I can't imagine what he and the rest of their family has been through!

I was merely trying to clarify he wasn't the biological father of either the mother or father of this child (as had been mentioned earlier). 

Respected Contributor

Very glad to hear he is admitting the truth....at least it sounds that way.  Of course he could simply wait awhile and claim he just did that so he wasn't sent to jail in the future.  I HOPE he never does that.  

As for the parent continuing with their lawsuit....perhaps they will wait awhile longer and drop it also.  I hope so.  The Grandfather is responsible for acting so incredibly negligent....using ZERO common sense.  

The parents need to come to terms with the fact that Anello is to blame for the death of their daughter...as tough as that might be for them (being a family member) but it is the only way to heal from this tragedy.

Anello is very fortunate to have been offered such a "sweet" deal...especially since he lied about his actions up until this point.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

No jail time?

Wow.

I wonder if he realizes how incredibly lucky he is.

M.A.N.Y people are incarcerated for much, much less. 
Her whole life is reduced to a slap on the hand. SMH

Shockingly light sentence.  Compounded by the fact he tried to lie his way out of it.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

That's probably the best possible solution for everyone concerned.

Agreed! I only wish the family had done this sooner. The compounded their own hurt enormously and I hope now they can finally begin to heal and move forward. God knows how they'll manage that, but I hope they find a way.

Honored Contributor

This grandfather didn't deliberately throw this baby through the window (compared with bad people who do very bad things on purpose).  

It was a case of very poor judgement, imo.

I've seen even worse happen in zoos..........a parent (always a male) holding their baby directly over, say, tigers and other dangerous animals.  Thinking it's 'funny'.

This grandfather didn't hold the baby outside the window, joking around. 

He probably set the baby down to sit on the sill, not knowing that the child could fall backward, (because the window was open, not closed). 

Sometimes, because of age or poor eyesight, our vision and/or visual perception isn't perfect.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Well, it's not always a male doing something like this. A mother held her child over a cheetah exhibit in 2015. Luckily, this one had a good ending. And there's the mother who held her child over the painted dog exhibit (which did NOT have a good ending).

Regardless, I don't think Anello deliberately killed the child. But, on the other hand, I don't think Anello THOUGHT about what he was doing. 

As I've said before, whenever my greatnieces were with me, I was overly cautious about what I did and what I let them do. I never wanted to be the reason anything bad happened to them. 

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Thank you for that clarification😊. Because this story breaks my heart, I've only read snippets here and there about him being Chloe's grandfather, and was not aware he was not a blood relative. That makes it a little more palatable, but the entire situation is very distressing, and he undoubtedly will still be a "prisoner" in his own mind whenever he thinks of her. Very, very sad.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles, I don't think that it factors in at all.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland