Honored Contributor

Re: Grandfather Anello to plead guilty to Chloe's death

LOL LOL LOL. Some people really get their jollies though taking ha
Honored Contributor

I am sure the only reason he did the plea was to avoid prison time. He probably realized also that the cruise line would never let him get away as blameless....that would mean they would have to be accountable in some way...
Honored Contributor

Taking jabs. It's pretty comical tonight.
Respected Contributor

In my opinion, Mr. Anello is solely to blame for the vitriol directed at him. He refused to take responsibility for the accident, and continues to do so in that self-serving statement just released.

The pictures proved he was lying. I think that is what many hold against him.

Respected Contributor

I think that statement is ridiculous.  I think he sounds like a mean bully.  Did he go around with that girl threatening to drop her if she wasn't  good or leave her somewhere.  Nobody really knows the dynamics in that family or if the girl's mother liked her stepfather.  Maybe the girl's parents were coerced   not to press charges against the stepgrandfather by him or other family members

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovescats wrote:

I think that statement is ridiculous.  I think he sounds like a mean bully.  Did he go around with that girl threatening to drop her if she wasn't  good or leave her somewhere.  Nobody really knows the dynamics in that family or if the girl's mother liked her stepfather.  Maybe the girl's parents were coerced   not to press charges against the stepgrandfather by him or other family members

Some "parents" do that I have heard or seen them in stores or even a certain niece of mine has too.  A few months ago while shopping in Kohl's...a Mother was telling her very young son (5 or 6) in response to him asking her WHY did you just leave me like that...she said "I was hoping someone had taken you" I about fell out on the floor!  My heart nearly stopped....and all I could think of was how awful that little boy had to feel hearing his Mom talk to him like that.  I still can't forget it.  That is every "normal" parents nightmare...that some stranger snatches their child away.  

Some parents think doing that kind of stuff is "funny" ....of course in this case we will never know if he was playing with her by holding her out over that railing...like it was a game.  

I did read his full statement...and while I do believe it wasn't intentional I DO NOT BELIEVE he didn't know the window was open....and I DO NOT BELIEVE he didn't put her on or over that railing.  You can see him doing just that in the video...so pleading guilty was his only option.  Continuing to lie whether in front of a jury or a judge was going to get him time in jail.  I am positive his attorney has been urging him to plead guilty so he can get no jail time.  He finally made the correct decision to do so...but it seems it's not to be totally honest about what he did and knew that day.  THat part is a shame.

Honored Contributor

I'm not positive, but this is Chloe's mother's side?

The only one I haven't seen is Mrs. Anello, Sam Anello's wife, speak publicly about any of this.

I can't imagine the horror she must feel to know this accident happened to her precious granddaughter and at the hands of her husband.

I would have a hard time getting over that--even if I knew it was totally an accident.

I don't think his lawyer wanted him to plead guilty.  That would take a way the windfall in attorney fees from the lawsuit against the RC.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember that there were two different attorneys involved in the two different cases:

Michael Winkleman is the attorney hired by the parents shortly after the incident and has filed the civil action against Royal Caribbean.

Sal Anello was represented by a defense attorney in Puerto Rico, Jose Perez following the criminal charge against him.

It is interesting that Winkleman now seems to be the spokesperson for Sal and the parents.

Respected Contributor

When I read that statement it just reminds me of all the other self serving  lies that have been in the news like the college admissions scandals, the JS case in Chicago that is being brought up again. people will say anything to defend themselves.

He can write a full explanation like that and didn't check first to see if there was glass.   How big of a hurry was he in to do it.  I understand that a lot of people don't see it that way. How many videos are there showing his actions? 

Respected Contributor

When this first came into the news and I watched the morning anchors and other news people it seemed to me that a lot of them were just incredulous that the authorities in Puerto Rico charged him with a crime when clearly it was an accident.  Would they have reacted the same way if he was charged somewhere different? 

It will be interesting to see who interviews him first.  I hope not that anchor on CBS morning show that I can't stand.