Respected Contributor

I'm sitting here at my kitchen table along side of my 3 y.o grandson who is spending the weekend with me while his mom and dad are on a wedding anniversary weekend trip and celebrating his dad's birthday. My kitchen table is filled with matchbox cars and trucks, a coloring book and crayons, a leapfrog tablet (which is a good investment, great learning tool because he knows all of his numbers, colors shapes and the alphabet), dinasaurs a bulletin board with alphabet letters that stick so he can spell out words. He's having a great time talking to himself and me and I have said "leave that alone" about 50 times already today. I love him so much so I guess I will let him stay the weekend. He calls me Gramma G and every now and then he just lays his head on my arm or shoulder.   We are staying in today because it's so cold but off to church in the morning and Applebee's for lunch.  Great weekend ! What's your gramma story this weekend?

Honored Contributor

Re: Gramma to Gramma

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes-

So great!

I can relate-my oldest is almost 3.

So would you recommend the leapfrog (I've heard good things about them) or does it get too obsessive?

Is it better to stick with books and puzzles, etc?

I do love Sesame Street-such a good learning station and fun but again not all day.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

onthebay wrote:

So great!

I can relate-my oldest is almost 3.

So would you recommend the leapfrog (I've heard good things about them) or does it get to obsessive?

Is it better to stick with books and puzzles, etc?

I do love Sesame Street-such a good learning station and fun but again not all day.

I would highly recommend the leapfrog 2-in-1 Leapfrog touch laptop. He loves this thing and uses it all the time. I bought it for him Christmas before last, he has learned all of the alphabet and numbers and it offers several different activites including games and music. Great learning tool for the little ones. He is about to start preschool next month and scored very high on the testing for readiness.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  Thank you for putting a smile on my face today.

Like you, I love being a grandma.  I'm a grandma to grandchildren ranging in age 16 to 6 years old.

Their personalities are as different as they could be.  I've always been very close to the 4 who live near me with my oldest daughter and her husband.  The others (3 more girls) live in Florida with their parents.  I don't get to see them as often but I hear about all of them.

Again, thanks for making me smile.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Enjoy those precious moments with young grandchildren. I had many. My grandchildren are 24, 21, and almost 15. My husband and I are still very close to them but we do miss those times when we played with them, babysat for them and just enjoyed their childhoods..

Esteemed Contributor

Being a grandma is the best!!!!  Exhausting, but, wonderful!

We are blessed with 6 cherubs.  So today we had swimming and basketball, followed by a late lunch and pizza for dinner!!!

Two are spending the night too.  Showers are done and bedtime will be soon.  Church in the am.

Enjoy every second!!!

Honored Contributor

My two grandsons lived a hard day's drive away from me,

So I saw them rarely, in fact I haven't seen them since 2006.  Their mom and my son were divorced.  I missed their childhoods except for occasional phone calls.  Now one is in college and the other in the Navy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I do love reading happy gramma stories!  

So many of my friends couldn’t wait to have grandchildren, and now that they are gramma’s, not all of what I hear is too happy.   I feel really bad for my friends at times.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three adult grandchildren on the east coast, one in New Jersey, two in New York and Lindsay the teen ager here in AZ.  I also have three great- grand -children, two in New Jersey, one in New York.  The sad part is I don't get to see the ones on the east coast but have been with Lindsay since the day she was born so that kind of makes up for the ones I don't get to enjoy.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I only have 1 but boy is she a lot of fun & love!

Sadly, I live 1500 miles away but the wonder of FaceTime & Skype I see her everyday🥰 she never ceases to amaze me!

In fact, if she can't reach me she leaves a message then jumps on the Ipad and calls my cell.  She's 6 and boy, much smarter than me with technology!  

If she has soccer game, cheerleading, etc. she calls me so I can watch😯.  Needless to say, I make time for these special times.

And lucky for me -- I find cheap airfare and fly home for "long weekends" just to see her (and other family).

I realize she's going to grow "bored" with Grandmom soon but for the moment I'm  enjoying the moments & memories🙂🙂.

@Goodie2shoesYour day sounds wonderful🌷🥰