Esteemed Contributor

Re: Graceland visit suggestions

You all are so amazing. Thanks so much for your helpful advice.  I am going to look into an American Airline flight although I am not a fan of Reagan. And I will look for packages and perhaps contact one of the suggested hotels.  I also will find time to visit the other museums.    All on my bucket list.  

Honored Contributor

Not sure how much time you will have in Memphis. Or how you will be getting around. But I would like to add that we went to Beale Street. Had to have BBQ ribs. And they did not disappoint. 

Lots of shops to check out. There are many excellent restaurants. And lots of bands playing.

Honored Contributor

I want to visit too now! I have a friend who went years ago. Like a lot of you, she said she was surprised how small it was when they pulled up, and how dark it was inside.

Does anyone know why the second floor is closed off? Do they have a full-time caretaker who lives there? 

@bonnielu - Frontier flies from BWI to Memphis. We use them a lot. Their prices are good IF you can find days good for you.

Have fun! 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu I Googled the Homewood Suites, from the reviews it has really gone downhill. That's a shame, it was nice when we were there.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

I live an hour and a half from Memphis, so every time someone visits they want to go to Graceland.  The last time I was there I almost got kicked out for laughing!  There was a group of older ladies who were convinced Elvis was upstairs on the 2nd floor watching everyone come through.  At the time there was a mirror at the top of the stairs that they believed  was a two way mirror that he could watch through.  I couldn't help it, I laughed so hard that I drew attention to myself.  

My friends and I followed this group thru the mansion out to the grave area.  Again, they were convinced that he was still alive and watching.  The big clue to that was the incorrect spelling of his middle name.  It was a sign!  The group behind us was crying -sobbing might be a better word - and I once again started laughing out loud!  Think Mary Tyler Moore who started laughing at a funeral.  Totally inappropriate but she couldn't stop.

My Memphis tip would be to go eat ribs at the Rendezvous!  Just a short walk from Beale St or The Peabody Hotel.  At the Peabody, you just might get to see the ducks march through!