Regular Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

So now parents all over W Va are scrambling to find day care for their kids tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

I believe it is  a Bush Day of Mourning.  All banks and federal offices are closed.  I am in California, and banks, post office and  federal depts here are closed tomorrow

i think it os fitting.  If anything it should be a time of reflection.  What was, what is and what could be.

Valued Contributor

If they make it a holiday (who doesn't want more of those) then stopping mail on the 5th makes sense. Otherwise not so much.

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

So now parents all over W Va are scrambling to find day care for their kids tomorrow.

Yeah, that’s the general response to him on Twitter...

with more colorful opinionated verbiage. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think everyone should check online. Because I believe all federal depts are closed tomorrow.  But I could be wrong

eta

stock market is closed tomorrow

Honored Contributor

Just curious.....

Presidents that died during the 20th & 21st centuries, did the Feds shut down &/or schools closed?

I worked in the Fed Govn't during those centuries & I don't remember this happening before.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon  

@Mz iMac

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne  Thank you!

Strange JFK was left out as he was assassinated while in office.  

Nixon got the honors?  He "resigned" amid a scandal.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Just curious.....

Presidents that died during the 20th & 21st centuries, did the Feds shut down &/or schools closed?

I worked in the Fed Govn't during those centuries & I don't remember this happening before.

They have done it.  The government closed for Reagan and Ford, the stock exchange as well. I don't know about schools.  I don't think they did for Nixon, but he resigned to avoid impeachment.  The government cannot close without an order from the President of the US. 

i think concidering the sacrifice Presidents used to make when entering office a day off wont kill us.  Time to reflect, and be grateful we had such a man to lead country. President Bush was a senator, a vice president, head of the CIA, and ambassador to China...oh and President of the United States.  I think more than any other President ever, he donated much of his life to public service.  I think one day is a small token of respect for someone who gave so much.  Mind you, there are other reasons. One is because dignitaries from all over the world are coming, security is at a an all time high.  As well as the president, congress, stock market are closing it creates a problem.  When stock market closes, financial companies and banks don't work. Just a chain reaction.  Before Nixon died, which was recent , followed by Reagan and Ford, a president hadnt died in a long time. Carter, Clinton, Obama and Younger Bush are still alive with Carter being a president from the 70's!

JMHO

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Tissyanne  Thank you!

Strange JFK was left out as he was assassinated while in office.  

Nixon got the honors?  He "resigned" amid a scandal.

JFK was not left out.  LBJ declared a National Day of Mourning on the day of his funeral.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky