Honored Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Tissyanne  Thank you!

Strange JFK was left out as he was assassinated while in office.  

Nixon got the honors?  He "resigned" amid a scandal.

JFK was not left out.  LBJ declared a National Day of Mourning on the day of his funeral.

Shoekitty said

Everything  closed for Kennedy's funeral, if I remember. .  I was a high school student then, they let us go home the day he was shot, and closed school the day of funeral. We only had black and white tv ( at least we did), and newspapers for communication.  Everyone I knew was glued to the TV set for funeral.  My dad had me walk to corner grocery store for another newspaper, and it was closed.  It was like a bomb went off, not a peep anywhere. His funeral was on a Monday.  stores had black drapes and wreaths on them, and a sign, "closed ". There is a difference between a  National day of mourning and a state funeral. They are two different things, but can be held at the same time. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

@SXMGirl wrote:

I think it would have shown more respect for President Bush if the schools remained open and dedicated today to teaching the students about him, his life, and his service.  They could also have used Sully, the president's service dog, as a reminder of what service dogs do and what Sully's job will be at the VA hospital.

It would be interesting to see what is in the textbooks regarding Bush.  The press at the time focused on his winning due to his Willie Hortin ad and lying about no new taxes.  Then they fixated on Iran Contra.  I certainly don't remember the glowing press we are seeing today.  

But you're right about schools latching on to the idea of celebrating his service dog - I can see them doing that.

Respected Contributor

Here in Maryland state and federal offices were closed but schools did not close. 

Super Contributor

I do not agree with President Bush’s politics, but there are some things that transcend politics.  I have always thought that he was a kind, decent man.  I watched much of yesterday’s funeral and was moved by all of the speakers.  I think it is fitting to have a national day of mourning and even to close federal offices.

I do think, however, it is somewhat odd for a state that had no particular connection to President Bush to cancel school.  Of course, they are free to do whatever they want, but, as others have stated, perhaps it would have been more productive to spend time with students talking about the President’s legacy.  I seriously doubt that too many students are going to spend their day off contemplating this on their own.

I note that several posters have stated that their support for West Virginia’s stance has nothing to do with politics, but is reverence for the office.  I’m sure that is true for some, but I have to wonder if others would be so supportive if this were a different president.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

I think it would have shown more respect for President Bush if the schools remained open and dedicated today to teaching the students about him, his life, and his service.  They could also have used Sully, the president's service dog, as a reminder of what service dogs do and what Sully's job will be at the VA hospital.

It would be interesting to see what is in the textbooks regarding Bush.  The press at the time focused on his winning due to his Willie Hortin ad and lying about no new taxes.  Then they fixated on Iran Contra.  I certainly don't remember the glowing press we are seeing today.  

But you're right about schools latching on to the idea of celebrating his service dog - I can see them doing that.

Perhaps his Thousand Points of Lights will be his legacy.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Isobel Archer.  What are you talking about? I see plenty of press over the years that is so horrendous it makes me sick. And very afraid us.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Isobel Archer.  What are you talking about? I see plenty of press over the years that is so horrendous it makes me sick. And very afraid us.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I was referring to the gloowing press for Bush - now that he's died - which is VERY different than what they had to say about him when he was accomplishing all those things they are now giving him credit for.  Cynically, I think it has less to do with wanting to say nice things about the departed and more to do with making another point of comparison,